Well I'm an idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Got my new distributor in, went to crank and it wouldn't crank...hmmm whats wrong, after second attempt I realized I didn't plug the ICM back in...so now its off to the parts store to get a crow foot or dizzy wrench to help me adjust the distributor a million times to try to get the timing right since my mark where my rotor was is off...dammit.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Got the dizzy tightened down with the body lined up exactly where the old one was annndddd it runs like **** if it cranks, and to get it to crank you have to hold the gas down a little bit. AWESOME I swear if it would crank I'd probably drive it off a cliff.

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
sounds like a tooth off, check your work.
bring it up to TDC on #1 and make sure your rotor is pointin at the number one plug wire.
If you have to take it out and move it and if the dist will not sit down all the way you will have to move the oil pump rod some.No biggie

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
sounds like a tooth off, check your work.
bring it up to TDC on #1 and make sure your rotor is pointin at the number one plug wire.
If you have to take it out and move it and if the dist will not sit down all the way you will have to move the oil pump rod some.No biggie

Hopefully weather permitting tomorrow I'll get a chance to.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah sound's like it could be a tooth off, also I'm sure you didn't do this but I have fixed a couple of friend's truck's that they had swapped distributor's on their truck's, and when they reinstalled their plug wires they were in the correct order 18436572 but they put them on counterclockwise instead of clockwise like they are supposed to be.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont understand why people say "its a tooth off" its impossible to have it a tooth off. The shaft inside the distributor has to line up with the keyway in the engine. If the distributor is installed into the engine and it doesnt seat correctly then you must pull it back up a little bit and rotate the rotor until it lines up with the slot inside the engine. I just put a distributor back in my truck this morning and it went back in in 1 minute.

Chris, right now your best bet is to start over from scratch. This means finding TDC on the compression stroke on the number 1 cylinder and then go from there.