Well I'm an idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a long slot screwdriver to line the oil pump drive up with the dist., and yeah I agree with the above statement about starting over at TDC.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will notice in that video that the term one tooth off is mentioned. They are referring to being a tooth off which will NOT allow the shaft of the dizzy to fully engage the oil pump. You CANNOT be one tooth off AND have the dizzy fully seated.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
True but if you bump the engine over a few times the dist. will drop in the oil pump drive slot. Usually when I pull a dist. I have to get deep in to a motor to work on it, so the oil pump is not lined up properly so I drop it on TDC and bump it over until it drops in the oil pump drive, work's lika charm.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
everyone has different way of getting to the same end result but for those that dont fully get the whole aspect of how it works I highly suggest watching a few online tech videos.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well it was fully seated before I attempted to crank it one time. Dammit I'm on the verge of just getting it towed and sending it to the hospital for a week or two. Even though it won't take them long to fix it, we just need some time apart. lol

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The oil pump is inside the oil pan and it is driven (rotated) by the distributer which is turned by the cam. You rotate the oil pump driveshaft you will need a long flat blade screwdriver and a flashlight. Look down inside the hole where the dizzy does and you will see the top of the oil pump shaft. it turns very easy with a long screwdriver. Just make sure the screwdriver cant accidently fall down inside the hole or your bad day will now become a nightmare.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well poop, you learn something everyday. I honestly don't have time and I want the thing to run, its been down for pretty much 5-6 weeks now with first a hub assembly, then intake manifold gaskets, then idle problem (which popped up right before I did the intake gaskets). I think its time to just hand it off. Work is super busy and I'm lucky to get an hour a week to work on it (weekends included). I know a really good shop near me that I may just have it towed to to make sure this is done right.

I know I can do it, but I really, really would like for it to be ready for next weekend (new years weekend) so I can take it on a hunting trip, and with rain forecasted all this week in bham and then the holidays, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and swallow my pride - and pay someone to do something to it (GASP!!!).