water pump leak, trying to fix my coolant leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my intake manifold gaskets about a month ago becuase they were leaking.it went well and im 99 percent sure its not leakin any more.i used a snap on scanner to set the cam retard bla bla bla everything was torqued right etc. i have a coolant pressure tester and have been using it. i also replaced the upper rad hose and one of the heater hoses,the other one i replaced maybe 2 or 3 years ago.i also replaced the little bypass hose that goes from the water pump to the intake.I also replaced the crappy heater hose quick disconect fitting thing in the intake manifold, with a threaded hose barb fitting and a hose clamp.yesterday, i replaced the water pump becuase it was leaking out the bottom weep hole.i bought the 60 dollar one from advanced auto parts with the lifetime warranty.The previous pump was an a1 cardone remanned, i purchased from oriellys i installed about three years i recently noticed it was leaking thats why i replaced it with the new one.The new one is still leaking but not out the weep hole,it looks like it is leaking from the cover on the back of the water pump that is held on with the little 3/8 bolts.I have pressure tested it yesterday and today.It is a slow leak i can see like one drop every five minutes, It drops right off the back cover of the water pump and on to the top of the harmonic balancer. Im just trying to make sure im not missing anything here this leak is driving me crazy! This is the only place i can see the cooling system leaking,I guess i will just have to warranty the pump and put another one on it.Has any body else had any similar experiences and if any body else has any other ideas were the leak might be coming from i would appreciate it.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pump to block gaskets sometimes if you miss just a small spot of old gasket on the block that can cause a small leak

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like this has been a painful experience for you. Wonder if you can tell us how much is leaking, like how long does the vehicle go before you have to add coolant?

Hope you get this problem solved once and for all.

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a brief history on the truck,i have owned it since june or july 2005.So it is not a new to me truck.I kinda of let it sit for maybe a year with just starting it and letting run about once a week.I have kinda gotten a new interest in the truck and im just trying to fix it up and make it reliable.It is a very slow leak,If i pressure it up with a tester it drops about 2 psi an hour so a pretty small leak.It is not leaking out of the weep hole i am 100% sure, i have looked at it very closely with a flash light while the system is pressured up.I would say the leak is maybe 1oz a day i have not had to add any coolant to it yet. I really kinda think that the leak is coming from the back of the water pump,not were it bolts to the block but from the stamped steel cover on the back of the water pump.The leak is for sure not coming from higher up than the water pump.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always snug up the bolts on the rear cover of these water pumps before install. Almost all of them I have done are loose out of the box.

red97k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya looking back i wish i had snugged them all up before i put the pump on....I was able to tighten some of them up. But some of them i just cant get to with the pump installed on the engine.