Water Neck Spacer Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sortasuave

Reaction score
I recently installed a Water neck Spacer (https://www.meziere.com/Products/Co...k-Ported-3-8-NPT-fits-Chevy-and-BB-Mopar.aspx) on my 90 GMC Sierra as part of an electric fan upgrade. The spacer has an O-ring seal on the bottom side.

Question #1: When installing the spacer, should I use blue gasket sealer with it?
Question #2: What should the neck + spacer be torqued to?

The reason for the question is that I have a random pressure leak that blows out a little steam about every 30 seconds. As best I can tell, it's coming from the bottom of the spacer. So I'm looking to confirm that I've installed it correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sortasuave

Reaction score
"Dumb question" is it bad if I used some? I'm really hoping I don't have to open the system back up.. But if I do, I do... Live and learn as they say!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a Water neck Spacer (https://www.meziere.com/Products/Co...k-Ported-3-8-NPT-fits-Chevy-and-BB-Mopar.aspx) on my 90 GMC Sierra as part of an electric fan upgrade.
Oh-oh. Electric fans are rarely an "up"-grade.

The spacer has an O-ring seal on the bottom side.

Question #1: When installing the spacer, should I use blue gasket sealer with it?
Question #2: What should the neck + spacer be torqued to?
"Blue gasket sealer"? You shouldn't need any gasket sealer with an O-ring. Shouldn't hurt, though. The "blue" sealer I've got in the shop right now is High Tack. Is that what you're using--or do you mean that DAMNED BLUE RTV SILICONE?

RTV SILICONE is NOT a gasket sealer. DO NOT apply it to gaskets. You can use it INSTEAD of a gasket--sometimes--but never WITH a gasket.

Bolt torque would be the same as OEM recommendation for the thermostat housing. IF the bolt holes in the manifold go into the water jacket, you'll need some pipe-thread sealer on the bolt threads. I suggest Loctite/Permatex "592".

The reason for the question is that I have a random pressure leak that blows out a little steam about every 30 seconds. As best I can tell, it's coming from the bottom of the spacer. So I'm looking to confirm that I've installed it correctly.
There shouldn't be any steam in the system, if you've got a proper mix of anti-freeze to water, and a functioning pressure cap. Are you sure you don't have a cylinder-pressure leak into the cooling system? Cracked casting, popped head gasket?

"I" would be taking a close look at that pressure cap and cylinder sealing, in addition to re-sealing the thermostat area.

What temperature rating is the thermostat?

How are you sealing the thermostat housing to the spacer?

Reaction score
"Dumb question" is it bad if I used some? I'm really hoping I don't have to open the system back up.. But if I do, I do... Live and learn as they say!
If the sealing surfaces are pitted or gouged or anything but flat, use rtv. If it's a good sealing surface, use the o-ring.