Vortec engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had a similar issue few years back with my 94 Fleetwood Storm 454 TBI. It was as if someone just reached over and turned the key off. I replaced the pick up coil and problem no more. As a PM the next year I replaced just all the electronic ignition components the following year (2019) including the ignition switch at the base of steering column. RV had 58,306 miles (US)on it then. Purchased it at 44,***. Also removed and cleaned all the ground braid cables.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

885speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go the parts cannon route to see what sticks, I'd recommend starting with a coolant temp sensor and pigtail near the thermostat, since it's cheap and easy enough.

I had a similar intermittent issue when I first got my truck and couldn't track it down. Even with the truck running I could move the connector and wiring around on the CTS and not a single issue.
But randomly while driving it would fall on its face like it shut off, normally would clear up within a few seconds and I'd be back on my way, once or twice I had to pull off the road for a minute or two before it started back up. Never acted up after and it's been something like 2.5 years since.

If you get your hands on a scanner that updates data fairly quickly, watch the engine temp fed to the computer. If its the CTS/wiring then you'll see the engine temp jump to something like negative 40 degrees when it acts up.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
if that ignition switch age is unknown, change it. Theres no easy way to test it unless when it stops working you get out the test equipment and start back probing wires.....

I had a failed ignition switch in my burb, I bought 3 from low mileage trucks from a u pull junk yard and the first one worked perfect. they are acdelco in the junkyard.

due to the fact that it starts right back up, I'll put my money on a failed ignition switch. there is carbon built up on the contacts and it interferes with the connection, then you turn the tumbler and makes contact again for a little while. then it dosent and you turn the tumbler again and it works.....

Al

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine would stall sometimes shortly after I start her up. 2-3 times. Sometimes none. Once I couldn't start it at all. I was damn positove that the pig tail to fuel pump needs replacement. I was getting ready for the job.
My truck is converted to propane. So I didn't keep a lot of gasoline in the tank cause I only need it to start her up. One day I decided to fill the tank up. All my problems disapeared. She hasn't stalled since. I always keep my tank filled up to 75% roughly. So I'm thinking the pump or pig tail was getting hot trying to suck this fuel from the bottom of the tank and was stalling. It lt's not necessily answer to your question but maybe it helps too? Good luck.

Jwidmayer1337

Reaction score
Truck died while I had a spark tester between the plug and plug wire. It cranked long and didn't fire. It had spark the whole time. So should I think regulator and fuel spider???

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe the new pump is shot? Not unheard of. Also test pump relay. And relays socket-see if any signs of plastic melted around the socket.