Vortec 454 Fan Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the 11 blade S-10 fan and it's smaller than the fan shroud opening by about 1.5in radially. I'll be pulling it back off and going back to the 9 blade aluminum stock fan. If I still have AC cooling issues at idle I'll look into getting a bigger plastic fan in the future. If RockAuto won't take this one I installed already back I'll pass it on for $20 plus the ride to the SBC guys.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turns out for big blocks duramax fan is the upgrade path with a 21" size. Stock fan is 20" and the s10 fan is 18.25"

TJ400

Reaction score
I pull 8400 pounds of trailer with my 98 Silverado. 454 with 3.73 gears. From new I didn't like the engine temps past 200 degrees pulling hills. I bough a Hypertec 3 programmer. Put a 180 degree thermostat. Changed the shift points and firmness on the trans. Cut the computer controlled electric fan and put a manual switch on the dash so I control it. All works great except in stop and go traffic the stock water pump doesn't move enough water on idle . You can kick the truck in neutral and revving the engine water temps drop off but then clime back slowly. A high flow water pump solves this.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pull 8400 pounds of trailer with my 98 Silverado. 454 with 3.73 gears. From new I didn't like the engine temps past 200 degrees pulling hills. I bough a Hypertec 3 programmer. Put a 180 degree thermostat. Changed the shift points and firmness on the trans. Cut the computer controlled electric fan and put a manual switch on the dash so I control it. All works great except in stop and go traffic the stock water pump doesn't move enough water on idle . You can kick the truck in neutral and revving the engine water temps drop off but then clime back slowly. A high flow water pump solves this.
I have used the Flowkooler pump on several vehicles. They really do work well with the custom impellor design they have.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya-249 motorcraft fan is labeled as 19.45" from what I could locate
Older post, but I have that same fan on the L31 in the 87 G20. The Ford bolt holes are 8mm but that is easy to fix. Took all of 2 minutes to enlarge the holes with a step drill bit on my drill press.

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Flowkooler water pump, but with the old fan clutch idle temp will still rise towards 190-200 in high heat