Vapor Box delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled a rare GM Truck underwood storage box yesterday from the yard, in great shape. I have a '93, so I had to crudely rig it up. However my question is can I delete my vapor box canister? I could make the box fit near perfect without it. My line that runs from the throttle body to the canister has been broke in half for some time now, never noticed any negative effects. Is it worth it or do you guys think the box is safe where it is? I'm too darn impatient so I made it work the day I got it. http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums...B-60C9-4534-8F8C-4B69B2111A4A_zpsjx5fe48k.jpg

Thank you!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's part of the emissions system. The idea from back in the 60's is that you don't want to vent gas fumes (aka pollution) to the atmosphere through a vented gas cap, so an evaporative emissions system was designed. It utilizes a gas cap that won't vent TO the atmosphere, but will allow air IN (one-way valve) if the tank needs it due to a vacuum condition. Instead of venting externally, the fumes are pushed through the vent line up to the cannister. From there, they get pulled into the intake and burned along with the regular air/fuel mix.

If you leave it sitting open like that you're polluting (yeah, yeah; big deal) but more importantly you have an open fuel vapor source hanging around under your hood which isn't exactly safe. Sure; plenty of people have left theirs this way including people that pulled the cannister because the truck is bagged and there's no room for it, or whatever, but it's still not safe.

If you're dead set on removing it you should plug the vent line from the tank and cap the port on the TBI, problem is, to do this "right" you'd need an old-school vented cap, which could be tricky to find for a modern screw-type filler neck. If the cap can't vent externally, you'll build up pressure inside the tank and that's not good.

Honestly, my suggestion? Find some other place to mount the cannister, and repair the broken line with some vapor-rated vacuum line.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's part of the emissions system. The idea from back in the 60's is that you don't want to vent gas fumes (aka pollution) to the atmosphere through a vented gas cap, so an evaporative emissions system was designed. It utilizes a gas cap that won't vent TO the atmosphere, but will allow air IN (one-way valve) if the tank needs it due to a vacuum condition. Instead of venting externally, the fumes are pushed through the vent line up to the cannister. From there, they get pulled into the intake and burned along with the regular air/fuel mix.

If you leave it sitting open like that you're polluting (yeah, yeah; big deal) but more importantly you have an open fuel vapor source hanging around under your hood which isn't exactly safe. Sure; plenty of people have left theirs this way including people that pulled the cannister because the truck is bagged and there's no room for it, or whatever, but it's still not safe.

If you're dead set on removing it you should plug the vent line from the tank and cap the port on the TBI, problem is, to do this "right" you'd need an old-school vented cap, which could be tricky to find for a modern screw-type filler neck. If the cap can't vent externally, you'll build up pressure inside the tank and that's not good.

Honestly, my suggestion? Find some other place to mount the cannister, and repair the broken line with some vapor-rated vacuum line.

Richard

Thanks again Richard! I understand now how it works. What would go into moving it? Or is the box okay where it is?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Take a look at some 96-97 trucks with the box. They had the same round-style cannister, just relocated a little to fit the box. In '98 they went to a rectangular cannister. I don't have one on hand to look at right now but I think it just got moved further down on the core support, to clear the box.

Richard