Valve seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to change the valve seals on my 88 k2500 350. I've read and watched tutorials on the process. My question is, can it be done without an air compressor or the rope trick? I'm thinking of bringing cylinder to tdc to hold valves and clamping the serp belt on both sides of a pulley. To keep it from moving. You think this will work? I tried doing a search on here and didn't find anything.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it will not work... you must hold the valve in the seat securely. Otherwise the valve will just fall in to far. Even with the correct piston all the way up..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dangit. I was hoping to save the 30 bucks from buying the tester kit from harbor freight on beer to keep me unthirsty during the job

Reaction score
I won't say its impossible. I've used super sticky assembly grease to hold a valve up... but its not worth saving 30 bucks. especially if you're doing multiple seals. Thats some middle of the desert field repair ****.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just use air and you'll be glad you did. Last time I did a set took me around 4 hours. I wasn't in any kind of hurry about it either. Beers not gonna get itself lol.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just use air and you'll be glad you did. Last time I did a set took me around 4 hours. I wasn't in any kind of hurry about it either. Beers not gonna get itself lol.

This.

On the beer thing, it's amazing how useful beer is for timing things. Takes one beer between coats of spray paint. Two beers for gasket sealant to set. I could think of more, but you get the idea.