US Shift Controller Review - In Progress! 4L60/80E Transmission, Engine Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Hey everyone, wanted to start a thread on the US Shift (former optishift) transmission controller which is applicable to a GM 4L60/4L80E automatic transmission. This will allow us to keep overdrive transmissions when converting to a carbureted or mechanical injection set up. I have through the forums buy haven't found much on the controller as far as installation, performance, and durability goes.

Currently i'm in the process of swapping a DS4 6.5 to a DB2 mechanical injected 6.5 and i figured since i'll be shelling out the $500 for the controller and harness, i should let you guys know how the US Shift works. I've researched and i think for the money, its got the best reviews.

Now obviously you can swap in a NV3500/4500 manual, or go retro with a TH350, or TH400, or maybe you have a 700R4 and this wont matter. But for as many 96+ GMT400's there are, i figured this might be a legitimate option for some of us who have the electronic automatics, and want to keep the automatic with overdrive for simplicity. I've looked into the TH400, NV4500 swaps, and i know 88GMCTruck has a nice article on swapping it over. This is just more or less a alternative to that if you want to keep your automatic. For me i like the idea of having a nice riding crew cab, and a reliable mechanical diesel with a automatic transmission. For me the parts involved to swap transmissions aren't worth the hassle and i'd rather spend the $500 and keep the 4L80E. Additionally i didn't want to tinker with the stock computer to shift the 4L80E, the US Shift installation will be a little more simple, and have some tuneability.

Here's the product, a US Shift Quick 1 Controller and Wiring Harness for the 4L60/80E transmissions made by Baumann Electric Controls.

You must be registered for see images attach

This product isn't quite a plug and play application, however based on the reviews i've read, they seem to have thorough instructions, and great customer service to assist in installing the product. Essentially, the US shift will need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) sensor to be set when installing, a ignition and ground wire to power the module, and the rest is plug and play. The controller also comes with software to tune according to your own application. However it will come pre-tuned so you will need to provide Baumann with the year, make, model, and engine size of your vehicle so they can pre-tune accordingly.

So for those of you wondering, what is this going in and why are you doing it?

Well i have this, a 1994 Chevrolet C3500 Crew Cab, AZ Truck, 362k miles, cleanest crew cab i've seen around here. It *HAD* the DS4 electric engine and a 4L80E transmission. The problem is the truck had a brand new transmission replaced, but the engine (i'm sure a junkyard find) leaks oil, coolant, has coolant in the oil, a failing injection system, and the brace for the starter is long gone which toasted the block down by the starter.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now why would i buy this?

Well i got a great deal on this truck only 2k , and at the time the truck ran pretty well. The longer i owned it the more i discovered what kind of work was done under the hood, sketchy to say the least, but with a rust free body, tight steering linkage, and a new transmission i figured why not.

Here's where i lucked out. Since i was little we have always had a 6.5, mechanically injected 93. It has always been a good runner, very effiencent and decent with fuel mileage. Recently we heard some clanking on the motor thinking it was the bottom end broken in pieces. the motor has 50k on a rebuild with the stock crank so we figured it finally quit. We found a deal on another DB2 6.5 and put it in. While pulling the other motor, we noticed the flywheel had broken the bolts to the torque converter so nothing was wrong with the motor. So at the shop we have a good running 6.5, with only 50k on a rebuild. So i have a motor for the swap.

Also the controller will work with any gas engine that will bolt up to the 4L80E and would be suitable for a cummins swap. Ultimatly this controller will become the new transmission controller for the life this truck is owned.

Now something to keep in mind, State Emissions laws will still regulate the truck as a 1994, even though the engine is a 1993. Lucky enough for me, IL's laws are not too strict regarding emissions, and diesels typically have very lenient laws anyway. Now with resale, the truck has 362k miles again and so i'm not too worried on resale. Every aspect of the truck excluding the motor has been replaced, so at this point it's just a nice clean OBS Chevy.

Ultimately i'll keep everyone up to date on the US Shift controller when it gets here. I just ordered today and the customer service was great. Feel free to message me throughout the process, I KNOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE thinking of bolting a older motor to these electronic transmissions.

Anyone thought of doing one of these swaps?

Stay Tuned!

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Def keeping tabs on this! Seriously thinking of ditching the problematic drive by wire system on my '94 K1500 and replacing it with this or the TCI controller for the 4L80. I have a good motor that has mostly highway miles on it but the DS4 is shot and i made the mistake of picking up a flight systems PMD when i was trying to get it running and had the toyota (runaway) prob occur with it. Im sick of the dbw problems and i learned last night that this truck has had issues with the dbw system from day one....So stand alone controller and DB2 pump conversion here i come!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
i'll also post a complete parts list once completed and take lots of good pictures (if i remember) of what it takes to do a DB2 swap on a DS4 diesel

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
i'll also post a complete parts list once completed and take lots of good pictures (if i remember) of what it takes to do a DB2 swap on a DS4 diesel

Awesome! Def looking forward to seeing it. What I like about this unit is the ability to have two different profiles on it. From what I read in the instructions the profiles can be switched via a toggle or momentary push button. So that would be great for our trucks. Have the pre programmed profile as standard mode and program a second setup for towing/off road.

Sent from the middle of nowhere

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Awesome! Def looking forward to seeing it. What I like about this unit is the ability to have two different profiles on it. From what I read in the instructions the profiles can be switched via a toggle or momentary push button. So that would be great for our trucks. Have the pre programmed profile as standard mode and program a second setup for towing/off road.

Yes, it has multiple functions so you can have settings for ECO/TOW etc. I plan on having a ECO mode and Tow Mode, plus you can dial in your shift points where ever you want so the tuneability is unlimited. To be honest swapping a DB2 pump on your rig is gonna be hard, not to scare you but it would be easier to find a DB2 motor, i think if you put a DB2 on your engine your probably going to be looking at a complete overhaul/rebuild to put that pump on. (or at least i would to make sure the motor is sound)

but this also works for SBC's and BBC's so you can again hook whatever the **** you want up too it :D

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Yes, it has multiple functions so you can have settings for ECO/TOW etc. I plan on having a ECO mode and Tow Mode, plus you can dial in your shift points where ever you want so the tuneability is unlimited. To be honest swapping a DB2 pump on your rig is gonna be hard, not to scare you but it would be easier to find a DB2 motor, i think if you put a DB2 on your engine your probably going to be looking at a complete overhaul/rebuild to put that pump on. (or at least i would to make sure the motor is sound)

but this also works for SBC's and BBC's so you can again hook whatever the **** you want up too it :D

I know the engine is sound since it came from a grandpa driven highway rig. Plus doing the db2/optishift conversion sets the truck up to accept an optimizer on the Db2 or Cummins 4bt later.