Upgrade to Solid Shaft on Passenger side front diff in K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freeze

Reaction score
I am a partner in a small offroad company, Outfitter Design llc. We are currently looking into making a one piece axle shaft kit that replaces the two piece shaft in the passenger side of the front differential. This kit will get rid of the problems associated with the 4 wheel drive actuator failing and the slide collar exploding, both which are common documented problems. You guys have been very helpful in the past and we were wondering what kind of interest there would be in a part like this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We currently have plans for a K2500 kit which uses alloy shafts which are 25% stronger than factory shafts. We also have a plan in the works for a 97 and up S-10 kit for any guys who also own S-10s. Also we would be willing to look into a K1500 kit if there is enough interest. So let me know what you guys think! Thanks for the input.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm intrigued. Whats the price point for this kind of kit? Any pictures?

freeze

Reaction score
We still have a few pieces to price out, but right now we are looking at about $300 for the kit. This will include a plug for the hole where the acuator used to go. As we get closer to production I can give you a better price. For some reference, alternate fixes would be to replace the actuator once it breaks for about $70 to $110. Get a pull cable actuator ( http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html ) for about $150. but neither of these address the slide collar. You would also have the piece of mind knowing your 4 wheel drive will always work. No pictures yet. hopefully have some soon.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the K1500 kit. I imagine so would many other since the K1500 is a lot more prevalent.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with DGA1. There is a way bigger market for customized k1500s.

freeze

Reaction score
nice! this is exactly the kind of feedback we were looking for. Do any of you guys know how much variation there is from the GMT 400 K1500 front diff to the GMT 800 front diff, or where that information is readily available? The less diffs we have to pull at the junkyard, the faster these will come into production. Thanks again for your help.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a relatively new K2500 owner, and past K1500 owner, I will agree that there is probably a better market for K1500 trucks than the K2500. That said, my truck has an issue. It takes forever to engage. I really didn't look into it too far as now the engine is out for a rebuild. The one time I tried to use the 4WD, the actuator would not engage in High range and took forever in low range. My 2500 has the lovely pushbutton 4WD, so there could be more to it than an actuator issue.

I replaced the actuator in my K1500 just before I sold it to my father. He just replaced it for the second time on his watch (now ~260k miles). Each time it got the newer style actuator.

I'm certain there will be interest in a better quality system.