Upgrade non f44 chassis to f44 chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
I've been curious if I could update my trucks front suspension and brakes to the f44 brakes and hubs. Everything is original and needs changed from rotors to pads and calipers. Can I upgrade to the f44 rotors and calipers without changing the master cylinder? What is the real difference between the f44 front wheel hub assembly and the non heavy duty hubs? Let me know....thanks.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it, cost wise it's basically the same for me so I thought I might as well ask, although I doubt there is much of a difference between the two

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Help if you tell us what exact year and model you already have, and also exactly what you're looking to achieve.

If you're a C1500... changing the spindles out would only apply if you're an 88-91 regular cab without heavy duty brakes. That's the shorter stub axle length on the spindle, for the 1" thick rotor.

Extended cabs from all years, reg cabs with HD brakes (not very common), and all cabs from 92-up got the HD brakes so you already would have the longer stub axle length for 1.25" thick rotors, this is the exact same spindle used on F44 suspension.

F44 has the same JB6 brake package that non-F44 would have assuming the non-F44 has HD brakes. Look at your SPID label (sticker in glovebox) or run your VIN through compnine and see if you have JB6 (essentially, half ton HD brakes; F44 1500's and 2500LD's had the same.)

Rear leaf spring pack gets one more main leaf and a slightly longer overload leaf. You can also pull the spring pack instead from a 2500LD and get a tiny bit more capacity due to even longer and thicker overload leaf.

Final and most important part of F44 would be the 9.5" 14 bolt SF rear axle. That and the springs are what really make the package...

Richard