Update on all my engine issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a lot of you may remember, I've had problems left and right with my Suburban. Running rich, long crank time, etc.

Well the other day my grandfather was riding with me, and as we were coasting downhill, it backfired a little bit (it's done this for awhile, I've just never thought anything of it, just attributed it to running rich) and he said it sounded like a spark plug fouling up. So today we pulled all the spark plugs and they all looked fairly decent according to him, except one thing. One of them had a bigger gap than the rest. While I was thumbing through my Haynes manual, he re-gapped it to .045 to match the rest. That's when we found that the manual says they're supposed to be gapped at .060, so we drove to AutoZone to pick up some new gappers since his only went up to .045 in. After re-gapping them all to .060 and re-installing them, it started right up like it has NEVER done since I bought it. It still runs rich though (you can still smell gas in the exhaust), but this is a MAJOR improvement.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
False alarm... we let it sit for a bit and it's back to taking longer than I feel it should and I cant afford the down time to truly tear into it...

This thing is really starting to get under my skin.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Figure I might as well update this thread.

It's been done. New spider is in and it runs great now. Now I just have tons of play in the steering and spongy brakes.