Unlocking column without key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4Birdman

Reaction score
I'm hoping to buy a wrecked truck at auction today to get the last bits I need for by Suburban. The only problem I see is that it says the key is missing. I'm worried when it gets here the hauler won't be able to get it off the truck since the wheels are turned a little to the side. I'd like to be able to find a way to do it relatively quickly because the drivers get pissed if they have to wait around for you. I know worst case I can pull the steering shaft and kick steer it, but I'd rather be able to steer it since I have about a 150ft driveway to my shop that I'd have to drag it down.

I know this sounds like I am stealing a truck but I promise I'm not. LOL

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not without permanently damaging the column (theft style) - some auctions usually have a guy running around making keys for stuff, often pretty cheap since they're on site. That would be your best bet.

Richard

4Birdman

Reaction score
Not without permanently damaging the column (theft style) - some auctions usually have a guy running around making keys for stuff, often pretty cheap since they're on site. That would be your best bet.

Richard

I don't care about damaging the column. I'm really just pulling the drivetrain from the truck, the interior is pretty much junk anyway. I'm not going to be on-site buying it, I'm doing it online and will be having it shipped.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They usually do. I always had a hard time keeping my GMT400 yard stocked with anything worth buying. I never cared about condition - I bought wrecked, stripped, etc. about the only thing I wouldn't buy were flood vehicles (though I made 1 or 2 exceptions and told anybody buying parts the full story first) - but bottom line is if the price was right, I bought it. I had to avoid the auctions for the most part because there's always someone there to outbid you. Generally the larger yards paid prices I would have never imagined a truck going for, as I'd bought good running/driving examples for less than these guys were paying for wrecks.

Richard

4Birdman

Reaction score
It actually went for a good price, but I have too many trucks here I need to strip/scrap already. It was one of those "if I could get it cheap enough I'll make room" kind of deals. Expected it to go cheaper since it was wrecked and the interior was so nasty it had a biohazard note on it, but it went for about what it should have.