under hood temperature management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From what I was finding, at low speed that area would vent, while at speed it would pull air in to the engine bay possibly fighting air flow from the fan

If it's a low pressure area it'll vent at low and high speeds. The wiper cowl turns into a high pressure area at speed.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Hedman Elite long tube header and are ceramic coated. When I put them on, and after the first good drive, I lifted the bonnet and ran my hand past them and I can say that they are definitely cooler than the stock manifolds that were replaced so are giving off a lot less heat into the engine bay.

Headers do that anyway because they have less thermal mass than manifolds.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of modifying the hood, and allowing water to drip directly on the engine, I purchased a functional cowl hood for my '88.

This is a better idea because the overhang keeps water out. Without the OE insulation, a cowl hood allows hot air to escape at idle. I know there's airflow at idle when the windshield partially fogs up when I go through the car wash.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of modifying the hood, and allowing water to drip directly on the engine, I purchased a functional cowl hood for my '88.

This is a better idea because the overhang keeps water out. Without the OE insulation, a cowl hood allows hot air to escape at idle. I know there's airflow at idle when the windshield partially fogs up when I go through the car wash.

And at speed the cowl lets air in, at which point you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And at speed the cowl lets air in, at which point you're shooting yourself in the foot.
Not so much. With speed, the air flowing through the radiator, most of the air goes past the engine, and downward under the vehicle.
Since we're discussing pickup trucks, and not super speed racecars, the effects of a hood mounted cowl are advantageous. Because at speed, it may just take advantage of the high pressure air and help push underhood hot air downward with the rest of the air. Then at idle it reverses and as hot air rises, it vents upward. Again reducing hot underhood temps.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's also why cowl induction hood scoops were invented. To induct high pressure air, at speed, into the air cleaner assy... so without the seals and ducting into the carb of a (insert favorite muscle car here: '70 Chevelle SS), the high pressure air at the wiper cowl becomes useful at underhood temp reduction

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's also why cowl induction hood scoops were invented. To induct high pressure air, at speed, into the air cleaner assy... so without the seals and ducting into the carb of a (insert favorite muscle car here: '70 Chevelle SS), the high pressure air at the wiper cowl becomes useful at underhood temp reduction

No. You kill the pressure differential across the radiator this reducing flow, i.e. shoot yourself in the foot. The more air you can evacuate behind the radiator, the more air will flow through it. The motor and everything is in the way.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interested in a temperature relief right about the intake air box area. Was also considering of just shimming the back of the hood up for a test to see how temperatures do in case of cowl type situation

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interested in a temperature relief right about the intake air box area. Was also considering of just shimming the back of the hood up for a test to see how temperatures do in case of cowl type situation

Again, that will stagnate flow through the radiator. The more air you cram in behind the radiator, the less can flow through it as that pressure gets closer to what's in front of the radiator.