Turning a 1500 imto a 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of frames, those of you that have Suburbans, what are the frame rail dimensions? My 97, which is a K1500 has frame rails that are 8" tall, 2 1/4" wide, and is 3/16" thick. That is just in front of the rear spring hanger bracket. Over the rear wheel the frame is 4 1/2" tall.
I had the opportunity to measure a 97 C2500 RCLB truck and its frame rails were the same dimensions.
Several weeks ago I was at a local junkyard that has approx 15 gmt400 s. I glanced under one K2500 Suburban, but it was an earlier model.....maybe a 92-94.....and its frame was much different than my 97. Its rails were not as tall and stepped down near the rear spring hanger bracket. I didn't have anything to measure with along that day. Guess I'll have to get back to get some measurements off of it in the near future.

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they were the same thickness. Take a closer look at the donor, it should have reinforcement brackets at both leaf hangers.
I looked at the hangers today. The 1500 looks thicker and doesn't have an additional brace on the frame side. The 2500 had the brace but looks like a thinner material. There aslo different for the bed mounts. Sclb/ecsb and the rears are identical. The fronts have the additional brace. From what I can see