Turning a 1500 imto a 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the swap on my truck. 96 c1500 used a 97 c2500 as a doner. Everything in the rear bolted right up. Took the springs off the 2500 with the 14 bolt. Did a rear disk conversion on the 14 bolt. The front just ordered the 2500 upper control arms and used the factory 8 bolt hubs. The lower ball joints were identical. Driveshaft from the 1500 sat in the pinion perch with ease. Used the 4 bolts from the pinion to mount it. Also got the factory 2500 front brake calipers. Had no problem getting everything to fit and work. Engine and trans are next. Also had to get the nbs master for the rear calipers the obs master didn't provide enough pressure for the caliper upgrade. Drove it a few hundred miles and pulled a trailer. So far so good. Frames on the 2500 and 1500 were identical. I was going to frame swap it but they have different cab mounts. One is a extended short bed the other single long bed.

I'd be surprised if they were the same thickness. Take a closer look at the donor, it should have reinforcement brackets at both leaf hangers.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, it can be done, but going forward, it would always be a ba$tard truck (only matters if you sell it). Also if your state has inspections, that could be an issue as well, and also don’t forget about insurance cost increase (if they were to find out)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, it can be done, but going forward, it would always be a ba$tard truck (only matters if you sell it). Also if your state has inspections, that could be an issue as well, and also don’t forget about insurance cost increase (if they were to find out)

I don't see it being an inspection issue, they just wouldn't acknowledge its capacity beyond stock.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't look to be that way. Or I would have grabbed them if they weren't welded on. I'll look again

Look at the inboard side of both mounts. That's where the brackets would be.

The heavier trucks have more lenient smog regulations in some states

But he only changed suspension, I'm having a hard time following here.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
It'd be easier to swap to a 14b sf 6 lug rear end in your current half-ton. My 98's been converted from a 1500 to a 2500 8 lugger. Can't say I'd advise anyone else to do it nor recommend doing it. Personally, I'd either swap in the 14b rear diff or swap frames.