Tuning Software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use tunercatII. You can still get it if you want it, but it will run around 800-1000 bucks.

Which is right around what efiLive costs IIRC.

I use tunercatII because I do 6.5 diesels. Only other option is wester's DDT diesel tuner which is around 2 grand. FYI, it'sessentially tunercatII with a few tweaks least time I checked. I use wester's vdf with tunercatII to do my truck...

TCII is cool, its good for shops that want to tune an unlimited amount of vehicles (though that functionality is available on EFILive and HPT, but costs a bit more), plus it supports earlier vehicles that other tuning suites don't, but like you said, it still costs $800-1000 because you have to get it with the roadrunner, and even then, still doesn't have any logging abilities.

I like TCII though, I'd like to get a copy of it myself, I just can't justify it when I already have EFILive, and I don't do tuning as a business.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Awesome bits of info in here. I'm in no rush, especially at $1k for an EFI license :)
I'll tune back in when your site is up, or I'll get a PM off to you soon. Thanks guys and sorry for the bit of a thread jack.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome bits of info in here. I'm in no rush, especially at $1k for an EFI license :)
I'll tune back in when your site is up, or I'll get a PM off to you soon. Thanks guys and sorry for the bit of a thread jack.

no worries, I know $899 isn't cheap for sure, but its worth it IMO, depending on your needs and wants. just let me know when you're interested..

as far as my site, it looks like the datacenter that my server is in blew some core switches, and they're working on it, its been down all day, but I'm hoping it won't be much longer.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
no worries, I know $899 isn't cheap for sure, but its worth it IMO, depending on your needs and wants. just let me know when you're interested..

as far as my site, it looks like the datacenter that my server is in blew some core switches, and they're working on it, its been down all day, but I'm hoping it won't be much longer.

As long as they've got the pros on it!
I'd love to get all the assorted doo-dads to go with the EFILive before purchasing the license itself.
Recently aqcuired an 0411 PCM and starter tune via Lextech, so I've got that much done, heh!
Thanks Alo, I'll get a hold of you in the near future here. :cheers:

Sorry again VorTex!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
TCII is cool, its good for shops that want to tune an unlimited amount of vehicles (though that functionality is available on EFILive and HPT, but costs a bit more), plus it supports earlier vehicles that other tuning suites don't, but like you said, it still costs $800-1000 because you have to get it with the roadrunner, and even then, still doesn't have any logging abilities.

I like TCII though, I'd like to get a copy of it myself, I just can't justify it when I already have EFILive, and I don't do tuning as a business.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying someone should get tunercatII over efiLive. Just that it's still available.

When asked, I usually recommend efiLive to folks (even though I don't use it myself) simply because it's readily available, well supported, has it's own forums (monodax is usually pretty dead) and even has guys who exchange their "tunes".

Data logging is a great plus and if you want to use roadrunner hardware it supports that too.

You just can't beat that kind of support system for a beginner.

Of course, if you want to do 6.5 diesels you're out of luck......

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as they've got the pros on it!
I'd love to get all the assorted doo-dads to go with the EFILive before purchasing the license itself.
Recently aqcuired an 0411 PCM and starter tune via Lextech, so I've got that much done, heh!
Thanks Alo, I'll get a hold of you in the near future here. :cheers:

Sorry again VorTex!

everything that you need to use EFILive comes with it...other than a laptop or some type of computer. or were you referring to like a wideband?

yeah, I'm always here, I may not be posting everyday, but I'm on here all the time so feel free to shoot me a message or something.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
everything that you need to use EFILive comes with it...other than a laptop or some type of computer. or were you referring to like a wideband?

yeah, I'm always here, I may not be posting everyday, but I'm on here all the time so feel free to shoot me a message or something.

Just the OBD2 cable is what I meant, that comes with the license?
Wideband o2 sensor I'm assuming you mean? I guess that broadens the options for tuning as well? More precise?

I guess the 'doo-dads' i was thinking about were just the PCM and the cable

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Wideband o2 sensor I'm assuming you mean? I guess that broadens the options for tuning as well? More precise?

Been a while since i looked into it but the license gets serialized to the hardware in the cable, or it looks for a checksum, something like that. Either way, the cable is useless without the license and the program is useless without the cable.

It's basically how the manufacturer controls the number of vehicles you can tune. Alo can probably explain that a little better.

In a nutshell, wideband o2 sensor gives you more data in order to adjust your blm's. The stock o2 sensor operates in a very narrow range right around stoich.

At least, thats what i used it for when i used to do obd1 so many moons ago...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah, when you buy it, you get the OBD cable and module, and USB cable to connect the module to the computer.

my site is FINALLY up (what a pain), but here it is in my store, it has a list of what it comes with and some more details:
http://store.gmtruckcentral.com/Flashscan-V2-GM

greatwhite is right about the license being linked to the tuning module. the software won't be able to do anything without linking to the tuning module/hardware.

a wideband is useful for tuning gas motors because it can monitor the air fuel ratio at a wider range and give an accurate reading vs the normal O2 sensors which only read accurately at stoich, making them basically a switch from lean to stoich to rich...but do not provide actual data for correcting VE tables, etc.

Last edited: