Tuneup gone wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irongiant

Reaction score
I recently attempted to do a tune up on my 1992 K1500.
The usual, plugs ,wires, cap ,rotor, and while the cap was off I replaced Spark control Module.

After this routine the truck stumbles ,has a bad miss, and idles like crap.
I did get a code 43 (Spark Control Module) and replaced it, now no codes
but no improvement.

I have owned this truck since '96 and have done this procedure every two years whether it needs it or not.
I am at a loss as what happened.

I understand diagnostics are slime on line but any thoughts that would be helpful
would be appreciated.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you by chance when you reinstalled the wires on the cap get off by one or acadently swap 2 of them around? I know it sounds simple and even though you done it numerous times accidents . Ive done it ive also got the fireing order right but had it going the wrong direction.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If it was running fine before and this was just preventative maintenance I would go back to the originals one at a time until it gets better. There's obviously a defective part somewhere, I would bet its either the cap or one of the plug wires.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I had this issue once, turned out that I got a bad batch of spark plugs. Put a new set in and it ran like a top.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently attempted to do a tune up on my 1992 K1500.
The usual, plugs ,wires, cap ,rotor, and while the cap was off I replaced Spark control Module.

After this routine the truck stumbles ,has a bad miss, and idles like crap.
I did get a code 43 (Spark Control Module) and replaced it, now no codes
but no improvement.

I have owned this truck since '96 and have done this procedure every two years whether it needs it or not.
I am at a loss as what happened.

I understand diagnostics are slime on line but any thoughts that would be helpful
would be appreciated.[/Q

Did you use aftermarket cap and rotor.i did that once learned my lesson went and bought the dealer parts.and all was find.