Truck ran hot this morning. Opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck got hot this morning on the way to work. It got to the Check Gauges status hot before I could pull of the highway. I thought it could be a stuck thermostat or maybe I lost a hose or something but I noticed a kind of grinding/ticking kind of noise behind the dash. The heater wouldnt work while that noise was happening. Any ideas gentlemen? I pulled over and added water to it and it was almost empty so I have a leak somewhere that I will look into this weekend but the behind the dash noise I am not use to dealing with. After the water was added, the truck ran fine and cool as normal.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I would gues your heater core dumped all your coolant

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will check that stuff. Thank you for the replies. I def didn't notice wet floor mats this morning but it was dark and I was still sleepy.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
1st off, check your engine oil, if it is a internal intake gasket leak, it could all be going into the oil pan. You should have been able to smell it if it was the heater core. Would have been a crazy take your breath coolant smell in the cab. Im betting on a freeze plug being rusted out.