Truck is missing and popping. HELP PLZ!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New to the forum just bought a 92 GMC sierra RCSB 4x4 with a 350 tbi and 700r4 trans. Has a 3" body lift with 33s. Has been running perfect untill yesterday. Fired it up yesterday morning and went off to town like normal. As soon as it shifted into 2nd gear the truck started cutting out. Thought maybe it was because it was cold so i let it get warmed up an i floored it to see how it did. Soon as the gas pedal hit the floor the truck fell on its face and started poppin threw the intake. My first guess was fuel filter, replaced that and it almost seems worst. Also ran some high octane gas threw it with no change. I dont know what else to start changing. Has it jumped time? Maybe i just need to move the distributor around to advance the timing? Im stumped. any help will be greatly appreciated!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
dont touch the dizzy

First off, take off the airlceaner, are the injectors dumping excessive amounts of fuel? if so, its probabley the CTS.

second, when was the last time u did a tuneup?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i havnt done a tune up. the guy that i bought it from said he just done one about 6 months ago but he lied! looks like to me it still has the factory ac-delcos in it lol. i took the distributer cap off and cleaned the terminals inside (they were corroded bad) and it didnt help.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i havnt done a tune up. the guy that i bought it from said he just done one about 6 months ago but he lied! looks like to me it still has the factory ac-delcos in it lol. i took the distributer cap off and cleaned the terminals inside (they were corroded bad) and it didnt help.

replace the cap and rotor, they wear out frequently, and are about $20. throw some new plugs in while your at it. Use NGK Plugs. I bet it will fix your problem.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok man thanks! i will try that tommarow. im broke now from buying the truck lol. should i replace the wires while im at it?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
o and ya i think its dumping too much fuel because if i rev it up in nuetrual it smells like its running too rich. how much does the coolant temp sensor cost? and my motor gets up to temp but the gauge shows it running way too cool. any ideas?

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im a big believe in doing plugs, wires, cap and rotor at the same time. High voltage+moisture= carbon tracking. For the relatively low cost, do them all to be on the safe side.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ok man thanks! i will try that tommarow. im broke now from buying the truck lol. should i replace the wires while im at it?

just do the cap/rotor and plugs for now, if it still has a miss, throw some wires on it. seeing how your on a budget.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
o and ya i think its dumping too much fuel because if i rev it up in nuetrual it smells like its running too rich. how much does the coolant temp sensor cost? and my motor gets up to temp but the gauge shows it running way too cool. any ideas?

pop off your air-cleaner housing, start the truck and look at the injectors, if they are making a puddle of gas in the TBI, then your CTS is probably bad, if i remember right, they are about $25.

If your gonna do it, make sure you change the one BESIDE the thermostat housing, its the one that sends info to the PCM, there is one on the side of the driver side head for the Gauge.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Im a big believe in doing plugs, wires, cap and rotor at the same time. High voltage+moisture= carbon tracking. For the relatively low cost, do them all to be on the safe side.

Same Here, But seeing how hes on a budget (Been there) and wires really dont go bad as often as caps/rotors and plugs, i figure he should just do those first.