Troubleshoot: Lost power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Yer injector pods should be mint clean. No particles whatsoever. Check the screens at the bottom of yer pods. they should be clean. If not, replace them, flush out the injectors, cleanout entire fuel meter assmb with carb cleaner. Reassemble with new gaskets. A rebuild kit runs about $25 at local parts store. Clean tank, replace filter.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed catalytic (looks original) and back exhaust. Bolted on a muffler (single chamber flowmaster) at the collector. Put the injector pod back together.
Started up, ran awesome for a few minutes. And about 4 miles later she would conk out, and have to sit for a couple minutes between starts. Then It would quickly conk out with throttle.
Dropping fuel tank since bed is off, and fuel level is low.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dropped and drained the fuel tank. The gas looks terrible, its rust colored. I flushed the tank out with the garden hose and removed a bunch more garbage.
I hooked up the pump with it hanging in a 5-gal bucket of the gas pumping straight into a gallon jug. It took quite a while to fill, I'd say about 3 minutes....shouldn't this pump be able to push a gallon unrestricted in about a minute? (Ac delco Ep381).

Android/Tapatalk

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem seems to be solved. It was the filthiness of he tank contaminating the gas, and clogging the fuel filter.After removing and rinsing the tank, new gas and fuel filter she's running awesome. Shoulda have replaced the whole tank when I first did the fuel pump. Worst looking gas I've ever seen. If your filter clogs up with rusty dust, ya gotta Yank the tank.

Android/Tapatalk

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After about 30 miles of driving after above, I was still getting clogged fuel filters. I replaced the tank with a spectra unit, reused the pump and sender and she's been running.