transmission problems on my 97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted this in the trans problems sticky with no response so I think I will try a new thread hoping to call attention to my issue.

I'm having issues doing 60mph. Sometimes the truck will shift between two gears trying to find the right one for that speed, but then it stopped doing that and just flat out couldn't do it. Giving it more gas just made it rev higher no difference in performance. Sounds like a slipping clutch to me I'm assuming thats the the torque converter. Then I get it back home (limping) and go to back down my driveway and nothing. The motor just revs. I did notice that the tranny seems to be leaking from the dipstick. My fluid levels are in the middle of the cross hatching.

I have a 97 silverado 1500 5.7L 4x4 with the push button 4x4

as an update, I got the truck to back up by adding a bunch more fluid. Now when I take her out, its not shifting from 2-3. This was not an issue yesterday. Not sure whats going on. I have added Lucas to the atf and still am getting the same lack of 2-3 shift.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it wont shift from 2-3 wouldnt it mean the 3,4 clutches are toast? Thus meaning the tranny has to go in for a rebuild?

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like your transmission is going out. Is you "Service Engine Soon" light on? The computer uses 2 shift solenoids in the valve body to shift gears (1-2, 2-3), and if one goes out a code will show up and your transmission will not shift.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it is, but it was on before and I havent had a chance to read it yet. I could have a code or could not IDK for sure yet.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you lucky, it could be a code for a 2-3 shift solenoid. Its a cheep and easy fix.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do a search on here for that code, my old truck (97 C1500 5.7L) was shifting bad and that code appeared and I fixed it. I also wrote some more info in another thread.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found some videos you posted about swapping them out. Good info.

Does this mean that if I get a shift kit it will fix the problem?