transmission or gears for better highway driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey woody - I think I will be happier once I get the fuel situation fixed (which I have decided to do tonight :) ). We do both have 4L60Es, I have no idea what gearing he has. I know in my old 94 K2500 6.5 TD, 4l80E it did so much better on the highway then my current k1500. Not sure what the gearing was on that.

I am sticking with the 3.73s for now, I do light work, and pull some trailers here and there, so the 3.73s are good for it. I never seem to have a problem pulling anything with them. I will just slow down while cruising on the highway :D hehe

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well of course it did, it had almost double the TQ

I have been thinking about another 6.5, but I had so many problems with that one. First the injector pump went, then the PMD went, followed by the prime pump, then within a month of all that - it spun a bearing on me ...... If I managed to get a donor truck for free- i might consider building it up, but this 350 is solid right now.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 93 ext/cab 5.7 I went from 3.42 to 3.73 and I know I make better mpg I guess the engine runs with less stress I also have under drive pulleys a K&N and all MSD even the dizzy oh I also have a high flow cat and magnaflow muffler. Now on a windy day on a trip it's a dog at eating gas my best mpg has been 18.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or truck (94 stock 5.7 and idk what gears probably 3.73s) can get 18 on a decent day (no wind)

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May I suggest a 6.0 LS motor, 4L80E, and 3.73's problem solved!

I have been thinking about that idea - I loved my 4L80E in my old diesel....... never gave me any problems. The 6.5 on the other hand, decided to spin bearings ......