Towing with a 4L60e....overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
My 97 has the 350, 4L60e with tow package, extra trans cooler in front of rad. I have installed a temp gauge also. Since the OBS trucks dont have a tow mode button, I have been advised to not use OD, but to tow in 3rd. My 5th wheel trailer is about 6000 lbs. So far I have had no trouble doing this, but only get about 10 mpg. Any thoughts about using OD to help mileage a bit of flat sections or downgrades, or is that a bad idea? I have been told these trannys have a weak overdrive, so dont want to chance messing it up.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In all honesty 10mpg isn't bad for towing 6k. I wouldn't risk it.

But, I think it's the heat that kills these transmissions. So I would think if you did run it in overdrive and the temp stayed low enough I don't think it would kill it.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said above watch the temp when towing in overdrive. Heat is the main reason why transmissions die. If your not having any problems towing your trailer in 3rd don't change your ways. People struggle to get 10mpg in the city without a trailer

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I wouldn't but I tow almost every other day so j spose if your just towing once and awhile it'd be fine

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said above watch the temp when towing in overdrive. Heat is the main reason why transmissions die. If your not having any problems towing your trailer in 3rd don't change your ways. People struggle to get 10mpg in the city without a trailer

This is so true... I drive to and from school with traffic and stoplights everyday and I get about 10 mpg

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to get 10mpg while towing. I get around 8mpg in my mountaineer towing a trailer

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to agree.. don't fix what ain't broke. If you're getting 10 mpg while towing in third and experiencing no issues, keep it that way. I get about 10 mpg in strict city driving.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10 isn't bad at all for towing in a gas truck... I'd rather buy gas than change a trans myself :shrug:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
When your trans shifts to OD, it engages the reverse band, everything inside abruptly reverses direction... This is why 700r4s/4l60s can't do a full throttle OD upshift, its to protect the trans from the shock.

I highly recommend you leave it in third