Towing with 35s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted

Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears and looking to upgrade to 4.56. My question is once I upgrade the gears will I be towing in 3rd gear still or go to OD? Also all I'm towing is a 21 foot boat on a tandem trailer. The truck does not go off roading. Will the 10 bolt rearend be good enough for my application? I know the 14 bolt is hands down the best but is it necessary for me?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
4.56s are going to put you at 1900 rpm at 60 in od. 2650 in d. I would'n wanna put gas in it with those kind of numbers lol. I personally would'n pull more than a 4 wheeler with a 4l60e in od, I have torn up too many of them.

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears and looking to upgrade to 4.56. My question is once I upgrade the gears will I be towing in 3rd gear still or go to OD? Also all I'm towing is a 21 foot boat on a tandem trailer. The truck does not go off roading. Will the 10 bolt rearend be good enough for my application? I know the 14 bolt is hands down the best but is it necessary for me?

I wouldn't have anything less than 4.56's with 35's. I wish my truck had 4.88's but it's also a TBI motor. I think I'm the only person that thinks that a 10 bolt is an ok rearend, the g80 is the weak link. So invest in a good locker. I would also definitely say leave it in 3rd esp while towing in stop and go, maybe if your running flat ground on the interstate you could stick it in OD. But if you find it dropping in and out of OD just stick it back in 3rd. Also a good trans cooler will help your transmission.

98_k1500

Reaction score
that 10 bolt should serve you well on the highway. Iv never heard of any problems out of one that has not been abused off road.

Lifted

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty sluggish with the 3.73. I can't even go past 55mph on the highway. I figured if I had the 4.56 I could put it in OD and get up to 65mph. Just need to confirm this with some of you towing guys in here.

98_k1500

Reaction score
If it is having that much trouble pulling it, i would definitely recommend 1: a re-gear, and 2: a stall converter. 4.56s and a 2200-2500 stall would wake her up tremendously.

Edit: If you end up stalling it, be sure you buy a lock up converter so your od works properly

Lifted

Reaction score
I wouldn't have anything less than 4.56's with 35's. I wish my truck had 4.88's but it's also a TBI motor. I think I'm the only person that thinks that a 10 bolt is an ok rearend, the g80 is the weak link. So invest in a good locker. I would also definitely say leave it in 3rd esp while towing in stop and go, maybe if your running flat ground on the interstate you could stick it in OD. But if you find it dropping in and out of OD just stick it back in 3rd. Also a good trans cooler will help your transmission.

Definitely upgrading the G80, and already have the transmission cooler in place. OD on the highway is a no go right now. It does switch in and out of OD. I will be pulling the boat on the highway mostly that's why I'ld like to get a gear that will put me in OD for those long trips to the Keys.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
No matter what gear you get your still not gona wana run the 60e in OD while towing its just not strong enough

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I don't know I pulled alot of in my 96 in od and never burned it up, on the plus side of 2000 pounds in the bed several times, dodge caravan, and a gmc s15