Torsion turns, keys and Rough Country 2-3" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Silence

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From researching on this site I gather torsion re-indexing keys are useless if your torsion bars are still good so my question is... should they even be installed when doing the rough country 2-3" lift since you can just turn the bars? What would be the pros and cons of installing versus not using them? I bought the kit new in box for $400 and a reputable 4x4 shop is going to install it for $350 and I was going to have AALs put on the truck anyways. (before everyone tells me not to buy it ;)

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I really hate to burst your bubble man but Rough Country's 2"-3" kit has been established as something to stay away from. The shock relocation bracket that has to be installed will rub on your CV axle boots and cause them to tear. Not to mention it won't be doing your front end components any favors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Read this: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27612

If you still can, return the kit and consider a body lift or maybe a slight crank in front with blocks in the back. Just looking out for you!

Rusty Silence

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I should be getting the truck back tomorrow with the lift installed. The shop that's doing the work isn't a rc dealer and doesn't like looks of the kit but said the shock re-locators shouldn't be an issue, said they could work with them if there was a clearance problem. I don't think they will install the keys with the lift. If i had known what I know now about the kit I probably wouldn't have bought it but since I had already paid for it and wasn't going to be able to easily get my $ back I decided to go ahead and use it. I was going to have AALs put on the truck anyways so I guess I can figure a couple of hundred was going to be spent anyways. My total cost for parts and labor will be $750. I'll let you know if I regret it or not.

Rusty Silence

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hate to burst your bubble man but Rough Country's 2"-3" kit has been established as something to stay away from. The shock relocation bracket that has to be installed will rub on your CV axle boots and cause them to tear. Not to mention it won't be doing your front end components any favors.

Read this: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27612

If you still can, return the kit and consider a body lift or maybe a slight crank in front with blocks in the back. Just looking out for you!

The shock re-location bracket in this picture is mounted wrong, it should be mounted with the shock bolt up, not towards the tire and the thickest part of the axle boot.

Rusty Silence

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy with the lift, it fit my needs and was what I was looking for.

Here is what the shock extension should look like.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I don't get why you'd use a shock extension, instead of the correct length shock. Lose/lose situation...

Regardless, if that cost you $750.... I'm sorry to say, this cost me about $250:

Blocks, shocks, and a light crank. Cost woulda been lower but I did a U-bolt flip as well.