torsion keys help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put 1 ton purple torsion keys into a 1997 gmc sierra 1/2 ton before? IF so is it very hard or not? Do I need to replace the torsion bar as well?

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no experience but why are you putting them in? To be able to crank more? If thats the reason save the effort and just cranck your stock keys. You can crank your stock keys to the bump stops which is way further than you should as your CV angles will be really steep.

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure they would go right in. And I'm sure it has been done before. Why are you askIng? If you want more Payload (stiffer bars) you would have to replace the whole bar. And IMO, cranking your Tbars is a terrible way to lift the truck. You can do enough with the stock keys, a more aggressively indexed key will only allow you tO crank more.....(step in the wrong direction)

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Responding through an iPod touch...... Major down fall. Good luck Mschaffer92

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking into a 6 inch lift through zone offroad and a guy refered it to me saying it would help. I was wondering ur advise he said it would help.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not that they are sagging, its just I wanted to beef up my ifs because a sas kit is just too much for me. I was also told to install 3/4 ton axle shafts to help along with beefing it up. I ask because a friend of a friend told me to do it, and i dont know him that well and am just curious on what to do. Because I want to do the 6 inch lift with 35s from zoneoffroad.com and he said to also install 3/4 ton axle shafts and get the purple keys from a 1 ton, and that would help me out.