Torque converter not locking up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksniem

Reaction score
What’s up guys,

Been having issues with my torque converter not staying in lockup. It will kick in and out every so often while cruising, but majority of the time runs out of lockup, going into lockup is rare. This happened after my computer was reflashed with the latest update. Under the trucks factory VCI it ran fine, and unfortunately I can’t flash it back to that software, or at least don’t know if a way how. However I can command lockup via scan tool and it works fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have cruise and does it work? The brake light switch can go faulty, making the truck think the brakes are being applied. This will keep the cruise from engaging and will also keep the converter from locking.

Mike

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
If it's not that brake switch, could be a faulty throttle position sensor.

What year model we talking about here? I forget which year it started, but you might have PWM lockup. Wonderful garbage engineering from GM.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's not that brake switch, could be a faulty throttle position sensor.

What year model we talking about here? I forget which year it started, but you might have PWM lockup. Wonderful garbage engineering from GM.

If that's the case, there are cheap mechanical ways to disable PWM and have just lock/unlock. The lockup rates are lazy from GM anyway.

Ksniem

Reaction score
It’s a 97, yes my cruise works. Gonna have a rookie question here.. what’s PWM? And the manual fix? Never gave the brake switch a thought

Ksniem

Reaction score
Thankfully it’s not a bronco.. lol any other suggestions or is that about it?

Ksniem

Reaction score
Is it worth trying to replace the solenoid if that’s the root of my issue?