To Hypertech or not to Hypertech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've had this hypertech tuner for a couple years. Came with a truck I bought and un flashed it before I traded said truck in. Put the tuner to my wife's Denali and left it tuned for a few years. Decided I was going to try the tuner for my K3500 and went to un flash the wife's car. Needless to say the thing crapped out and almost left me with a blank ecm on my wife's car. After some research and a battery disconnect, the Denali was reprogrammed and back up and running with no ill side effects. If I hook the tuner up to my computer and download new software, I could reprogram it to flash my truck. Would love to squeak as much power out of the 7.4 as possible and since I already own the tuner it's not costing me anything. However, I'm worried that if I tune the truck or it crashes on me while I'm tuning the truck I'll really be SOL and the wife is gonna wonder why I did it to my truck after nearly disabling her car. My main goal is for setting trans shift points and firmness for towing.

I understand that there are other, more effective ways to add hp to these engines but I have this tuner laying on a shelf doing nothing now.