Thinking outside the box here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was thinking about a bunch of random stuff today, and the idea popped into my head of taking a HEI distributor and putting it in my '89, replacing the stock computer controlled one. This way, I would have control over timing and advance curve, not the computer. Would this work without setting any codes and/or screwing with the fuel injection operation? I know this would increase the seat-of-the-pants feel if it all worked. Hopefully fuel economy too. My reasoning behind this is that the stock system is designed for emissions, not performance. Again, just a thought. I'm really considering pulling the dizzy out of my '67 and trying it. Although, I might just be going crazy here...

beast94

Reaction score
This will most likely not work, because the computer bases the fuel injector pulsations off of the distributor position. With out that information, the ECM will not know when to fire the injectors.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I fiddled around with the timing yesterday and advanced it by a few degrees. I'm going to see how it performs and might throw a few more in there if all goes well.