The Ugliest Z71 You've Ever Seen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
similar here, I bought my c3500 cclb from the j/y that I was working @, @ the time. zero rot, but pretty much every panel was banged up, electrical issues, ac delete, filthy as hell, bad repaint. currently rocking no headliner or carpet, non-working windows (remember, it ac delete), replaced the hood w/ a correct color unit & replaced 3 doors w/ 2-tone units. most of parts are from the j/y as I find them. currently has over 495k mi. while most wouldn't have bothered, it is the bare bones of what I wanted & hopefully one day get to where I want it. gmt400 crew cabs are not all that common in my area. especially reasonably priced. doesn't matter if they are a rot box or pristine condition, they are stupid money.

My dream is to own a CCSB one day, and I find CCLB quite often here in SEMO, but I don’t feel like cutting a frame down to make it happen, and I’m not setup enough shop wise to buy one of the many blown up big blocks in my price range. The other negative for me is like the extended cab trucks, almost all are auto tragic.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this truck for $960 bucks the driver's side door was caved in from an accident. Just about every body panel is rotted out unfortunately ,but I've been piecing her together. Door on the driver's side came from a 88 GMC 1500, Passenger side came from a 92 Chevy 1500, and the fenders came from a 88 GMC truck that may have been a diesel truck. There's some miscellaneous trim pieces that came from other trucks. It looks terrible ,but some paint will solve that as soon as I decide on a color.

1st off, welcome aboard.
2nd, being from new England, ive seen worse.
3rd, it look like your off to good start., just keep up the progress & pics
4th, make sure you inspect your fuel & brake lines real good, if needed, it'll be a lot easier to do when your replacing the tank & even easier if the bed is off.

I bought a stainless brake line kit from inlinetube.com & am getting ready to order a fuel line kit, then do it all @ once. my truck still has what appears to be the original very crusty lines.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dream is to own a CCSB one day, and I find CCLB quite often here in SEMO, but I don’t feel like cutting a frame down to make it happen, and I’m not setup enough shop wise to buy one of the many blown up big blocks in my price range. The other negative for me is like the extended cab trucks, almost all are auto tragic.

I occasionally haul sheetrock & plywood, so I wanted a long bed so that I could close the tailgate. but would've settled on a short bed & just used a bed extender as needed. main concern was a rot free crew cab. mine is only a 5.7L. its a w/t model, so its pretty stripped, including the ac. the original owner was a landscape company, hence why its a little beat up.

Bad_Luck_Club

Reaction score
I will say that more of my parts are from the salvage yard than new parts. Granted the unexpected wreck I had was a contributing factor. In all honesty I’m the kinda guy that is happy in a junkyard, it’s my perfect peace.
I love going to the junkyard. It's cool just to look around and see what they have there. Sometimes there's some cool stuff. Not too long ago I went to a junkyard near me that had a gasser from the 50s there. Another guy and I spent a solid 20 minutes or so just looking it over. I couldn't tell anything was wrong with it other than that it had been sitting for a while. Family probably junked it after who ever owned it died and figured it was junk because the whole "old = junk" mindset everyone has now a days and it didn't come to life as soon as they turned the key.

Bad_Luck_Club

Reaction score
1st off, welcome aboard.
2nd, being from new England, ive seen worse.
3rd, it look like your off to good start., just keep up the progress & pics
4th, make sure you inspect your fuel & brake lines real good, if needed, it'll be a lot easier to do when your replacing the tank & even easier if the bed is off.

I bought a stainless brake line kit from inlinetube.com & am getting ready to order a fuel line kit, then do it all @ once. my truck still has what appears to be the original very crusty lines.
Thanks! Glad to see that mine is not the worst. It was either this truck or a 87 K10 that was about the same condition with a plow ,but I didn't need a plow and the guy didn't want to take it off. It was 1200 bucks though so a good deal for someone though. My lines in front had been serviced recently and I replaced the rear lines with copper lines. Haven't looked at the fuel lines ,but that will be coming shortly with dropping the tank. I was hoping to do the bed and tank in one go ,but I should be moving soon so I may not do the bed just yet and just do the tank for now. I hope to get a new bed on before winter so I can go and get it under coated or under oiled if anyplace in my state does it.