th400 with a problem i need some help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammack420

Reaction score
ok so i have a th400 and about 3 months ago i put in a stage 2 b&m shift improver an a new filter what i didnt know is that i would loose the engine braking unless i was in a selected gear then i have the braking in that gear only which is no big deal i guess, but this has made me use second all the time unless im driving at highway speeds which is fine with me but im not sure the trans likes it to much because now when i put the shifter to second at stop from third or first i makes a grinding noise not for long tho only about 10 to 30 seconds but it makes a different noise depending on weather or not you coming out of first or third it usually only does this when its hot and im not moving i checked the fluid level it seems to have a sufficient amount of atf in it. could this be the result of me overusing second? is my trans going? is this form the shift improver? or possibly a leaky valave body? could it be the sprag? i really dont know please tell me your opinions of this matter so i can get it sorted out im going to pull the pan tomorrow to see wahts it looks like in there. oh an i dont know if this is important or not i got a 350 k code this trans used to be on the 4.3 that was in the truck and the converter had writen on it 4.3 an i still mated it to the 5.7 could it maybe be the converter? like i said i have konw idea just throwing things there that could help you have a better understanding. thanks in advance for any advice or opinions and please dont tell me to just get a manual lol

sammack420

Reaction score
i also found out that if you go from park neutral or reverse right to 2nd it doesnt make any noise an seems to act fine. going to 2nd from 3rd or 1st is another story

sammack420

Reaction score
dropped the pan an found some metal chunks no more than a couple mm in diameter but none the less metal bits its an old tranny so ill just pull it an rebuild