TH400 No gears at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crossy's son

Reaction score
Hey guys on saturday I'm going to pick up a 90 RCLB K3500 454 truck with a TH400. It's a plow truck and the plow setup is nice however the transmission doesn't have ANY forward gears or reverse....The linkage is all hooked up I can hear it clicking when put in gear. It doesn't do anything besides go into Neutral when you move the shifter from Park.

Any ideas?

I know it's gotta be something dumb because it was a plow truck so it went from D to R like every 5 seconds.

I was thinking it was a band or something that broke? Can't be the clutches or steels as the truck only has like 40,000 miles road time....It's plowed it's whole life

Thanks
BRandon

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
did you drive the truck before tearing it down? if it drove fine then it might something you missed. i wouldn't break my back trying to figure it out, just as FastOrange said. they are everywhere

crossy's son

Reaction score
No never drove it, They went out to it last winter and it wouldn't move.

For some reason I'm having a tough time finding a TH400 around here that's good, All of them are "cores"

I was just thinking if it was soemthing dumb I could have my transmission guy replace/take it apart cheap rather than fully rebuilt it which seems unnecessary. But yea I'll keep looking.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
No never drove it, They went out to it last winter and it wouldn't move.

For some reason I'm having a tough time finding a TH400 around here that's good, All of them are "cores"

I was just thinking if it was soemthing dumb I could have my transmission guy replace/take it apart cheap rather than fully rebuilt it which seems unnecessary. But yea I'll keep looking.

Phone a tranny guy and ask what he thinks, you should be able to find a TH400 or TH350 easy, a 350 should hold up to the 454 if its stock.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
sorry about my last post, thought you swapped trannys for some reason??? calling a transmission shop could help a lot or if it is worth it to you have it rebuilt.