Teach me BASIC ecm....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm old school Carb guy, tell me just the basics of ECM? in a 89..... Two chips, what are they called and do? What one can fail and the other allows it to still run? the big one or little one? LOL. And does that 86 at the code ANLY mean the year? as in a 86 Vette ecm?

Attachments

• PB270004.JPG
    PB270004.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in a 89..... Two chips, what are they called and do? What one can fail and the other allows it to still run? the big one or little one?
The little one in the plastic holder on the right is the EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory) is where your .bin (Binary) lives. It contains the parameters that your ECM uses to run the engine like, Spark Advance, Volumetric Efficiency, etc. If this chip goes bad, The ECM will go into "Limp Mode" and still run safely but not very well. This chip can be erased and programmed but, is touchy and may loose its memory. It has a little window under the sticker where you erase it with IR light at certain intensities and time. Then you "burn" the new program in it. The go to upgrade is to modify the socket for an EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory). These chips can be erased and "Flashed" in seconds as many times as you want.

The chip on the left has your "hardware" part of the program, it's not programmable. It runs the program and uses the .bin for data needed to run.

Yes, your ANLY is the specific .bin on that chip originally made in 86. Different BCCs (Broadcast Code Chips) were used for things like Auto trans, Manual trans, Rear gear ratio, etc, even if it's a California truck (different emissions/equipment).

Here's a link that gives you all you need to know (well almost) for your 1227747 ECM. It doesn't have your ANLY but the ones next to it should be similar. The higher in the alphabet they are, the newer program.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The little one in the plastic holder on the right is the EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory) is where your .bin (Binary) lives. It contains the parameters that your ECM uses to run the engine like, Spark Advance, Volumetric Efficiency, etc. If this chip goes bad, The ECM will go into "Limp Mode" and still run safely but not very well. This chip can be erased and programmed but, is touchy and may loose its memory. It has a little window under the sticker where you erase it with IR light at certain intensities and time. Then you "burn" the new program in it. The go to upgrade is to modify the socket for an EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory). These chips can be erased and "Flashed" in seconds as many times as you want.

The big chip on the left has your "hardware" part of the program, it's not programmable. It runs the program and uses the .bin for data needed to run.

Yes, your ANLY is the specific .bin on that chip originally made in 86. Different BCCs (Broadcast Code Chips) were used for things like Auto trans, Manual trans, Rear gear ratio, etc, even if it's a California truck (different emissions/equipment).

Here's a link that gives you all you need to know (well almost) for your 1227747 ECM. It doesn't have your ANLY but the ones next to it should be similar. The higher in the alphabet they are, the newer program.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?304-1227747-ECM-Information-42
Sorry one more time, I'm bit slow with this ECM crap LOL, the little one, shorter? in pic looks to be on the left? I just wanna be sure what I'm looking at is all, IDK ... So my 89 has a 86 ECM then in it? appears...

Attachments

• PB270004 1111.jpg
    PB270004 1111.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the little one, shorter? in pic looks to be on the left? I just wanna be sure what I'm looking at is all, IDK ... So my 89 has a 86 ECM then in it? appears...
Sorry for the confusion, the chip on the right, inside the plastic holder, is your EPROM or BCC which is programmable. You can pry the holder and chip off the circuit board to swap chips. They're a 24 pin chip (the flash chips are 28 pin) so, be real careful when removing the it from the plastic holder (which is unobtainable anymore).

It's Probably an 86 ECM but more were made after that too since. TBI was 1st offered in 86, that particular one was used in up to 90 or 91 (I think)

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, the chip on the right, inside the plastic holder, is your EPROM or BCC which is programmable. You can pry the holder and chip off the circuit board to swap chips. They're a 24 pin chip (the flash chips are 28 pin) so, be real careful when removing the it from the plastic holder (which unobtainable anymore).

It's Probably an 86 ECM but more were made after that too since. TBI was 1st offered in 86, that particular one was used in up to 90 or 91 (I think)
Ok, thank you, Just for the heck of it as a test I ordered this yesterday..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-28913s?rrec=true#overview

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you, Just for the heck of it as a test I ordered this yesterday..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-28913s?rrec=true#overview
I hope it works for you. I highly recommend either converting your ECM for flash chips like an SST 27SF512, or similar. You can also get an EBL Flash-II so you can automatically tune your VE files and flash them to it. It has 8 flash banks to store different calibrations you tune. It also can use a WBO2 sensor to Tune up to WOT, a NBO2 can't, they only give you over/under Stoich readings that have no correlation to actual AFR.

FYI - I went with a "Custom" chip from Harris Tuning at 1st. The modified engine ran OK but didn't seem to produce the power I expected.

Then I had my 7747 ECM modified to accept the SST 27SF512 flash chip by Dave w over on www.gearhead-efi.com. With TunerPro RT software on my laptop and an ALDL/USB cable, I data logged, emailed the log to him, he made modifications, emailed them back to me, rinse and repeat until I got the most we could out of the turtle slow ECM. I gained somewhere ~4 seconds in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile. There was that much opportunity left on the table from the "custom" chip.

I still wanted more so, Dave suggested I get the EBL, which is also WAY faster. at 8192 baud rate as opposed to 160 on the 1227747. I did that and tuned it by myself after that. The neat thing about the EBL is, whenever I modified the engine, I can update my tune to optimize drivability and performance. I went from a flat tappet to a bigger roller cam, and then to a Blue Print "383" short block, keeping the EBL. I have it running rather smooth with a longer duration cam (it lopes a little) with my 46mm TBI on top, and way more torque/horsepower than the 350 (somewhere ~436/443 according to their Dyno results).

Anyway, please excuse the length of my post but, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), "Mail Order Chips" are pretty much a waste of time and money.

Last edited: