TBI vs Vortec

• TBI

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Vortec

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Undecided/Other/Both

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I vote vortec for a few reasons, more power, more torque, better economy, and I prefer the interior in those years 96-98. My truck is tbi and there's nothing wrong with it, but I like the vortec better.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To an unbiased person, Vortec vs TBI is a no brainier. Vortec wins easily.

- Vortec has 45 more HP
- Vortec has 30 more LB FT of Torque
- Vortec has better gas mileage
- Vortec has OBDII
- Vortec has better heads, cams, injection

- TBI has slightly cheaper parts.
- TBI is slightly easier to work on.

Pretty much this. I've owned both, and the Vortec has been a lot better for all reasons. On a day-to-day basis, the extra power is easily notices and the MPGs are just as terrible.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I, personally, have had nothing but trouble with the Vortec fuel injection. And theres really no good alternative smog legal or otherwise. Other than swapping in a 411, they just arent what I would deem as reliable. So, my solution was to build a hybrid. I took my 90-that doesnt have to be smogged any more-and put Vortec heads on it. Put an LT1 roller cam in it and if I had gone with the GMPP vortec to TBI manifold, it wouldnt be detectable. It will smog easily and ATM, I have the EBL on order to tune it. All that Ive read indicate it should be able to pull down ~20mpg once I get it tuned. Its already pretty snappy and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

mistaake

Reaction score
I, personally, have had nothing but trouble with the Vortec fuel injection. And theres really no good alternative smog legal or otherwise. Other than swapping in a 411, they just arent what I would deem as reliable. So, my solution was to build a hybrid. I took my 90-that doesnt have to be smogged any more-and put Vortec heads on it. Put an LT1 roller cam in it and if I had gone with the GMPP vortec to TBI manifold, it wouldnt be detectable. It will smog easily and ATM, I have the EBL on order to tune it. All that Ive read indicate it should be able to pull down ~20mpg once I get it tuned. Its already pretty snappy and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

What is a 411? Sorry probably a noob question...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is a 411? Sorry probably a noob question...

That is the last of the service part number for a common pcm used in the LS platform. It has a much faster processor and is much easier to tune as well as having additional capabilities.

mistaake

Reaction score
All of this Vortec love makes me wanna wait and save up until I could afford a 96+ Tahoe or Suburban. My 96 Yukon was just such a piece of junk though - not blaming GM but previous owners must have not maintained it. Rear end and tranny sh*t the bed at 115K, and that wasn't the only thing wrong with it. Maybe I'll hold out for a 6.5 diesel 'hoe or 'burb like I really want :D

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All of this Vortec love makes me wanna wait and save up until I could afford a 96+ Tahoe or Suburban. My 96 Yukon was just such a piece of junk though - not blaming GM but previous owners must have not maintained it. Rear end and tranny sh*t the bed at 115K, and that wasn't the only thing wrong with it. Maybe I'll hold out for a 6.5 diesel 'hoe or 'burb like I really want :D
I have a dually with a dead 6.5 @ 104k. Get what you want but keep in mind that anything can happen.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hold out 4 a 6.5? Thats backwards lol

mistaake

Reaction score
Hold out 4 a 6.5? Thats backwards lol

I've always wanted a diesel... I like the 6.5 because I can get it in an SUV. If I went Duramax I'd have to go for a Crew Cab, and that combo doesn't come cheap! Ford's Powerstroke 7.3 is good too but it's not a Chevy :) An added bonus is that I can be smog exempt in California with a pre-97 diesel.

Last edited:

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
voted TBI, loved the one I drive... picking up a second one truck with one in it.