TBI vs Vortec

• TBI

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Vortec

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Undecided/Other/Both

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what people think. Would you prefer TBI vs Vortec in a completely stock GMT400 truck? Please take into account reliability, fuel economy, performance, and which one is cheaper/easier to mod within CA smog requirements. Thanks!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tbi is alot more simple and easier to manta in but vortec is easier to mod and make decent power, not to mention tune.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Personally, I love my TB. Always has plenty of torque and with the exception of a couple dead batteries and a bad starter, she has never failed to start. But the fuel economy is lousy!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go Vortec, hands down. Plenty of CARB legal parts out there, and as long as you can swap in an 0411 ECM, easier to tune or have tuned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mistaake

Reaction score
I do see that parts are cheaper for the TBI. A direct fit CARB compliant catalytic converter is about $100 cheaper for a 95 Suburban K1500 5.7L than for a 95 K1500 Pickup 5.7L. And a single exhaust will mean it'll be cheaper to make it sound nice.

Fuel economy isn't a big deal because I have a good MPG daily driver 07 Colorado, and horsepower doesn't really matter to be.

I'm really starting to think the TBI is a better choice for me. Not having OBDII is the only bummer.

Are intake gasket issues as much of a problem as with the Vortec engines?

Are the flat tappet cams in the TBI less reliable than the roller cams used in the Vortec?

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had both. I prefer my Vortec.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have both and have to vote for the vortec over tbi. Yes tbi is simple and usually easy to fix but the vortec is newer technology. Roller cam, mpfi and best flowing gm heads- big plus for pulling power.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
To an unbiased person, Vortec vs TBI is a no brainier. Vortec wins easily.

- Vortec has 45 more HP
- Vortec has 30 more LB FT of Torque
- Vortec has better gas mileage
- Vortec has OBDII
- Vortec has better heads, cams, injection

- TBI has slightly cheaper parts.
- TBI is slightly easier to work on.

Last edited:

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like my TBI. Has done everything I've ever asked it to do. Plus its soo easy to work on. If it was any simpler it wouldn't run.