TBI vs Vortec

• TBI

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Vortec

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Undecided/Other/Both

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Easily TBI.

A TBI with Vortec heads! TBI is one of the best fuel delivery systems ever. Like.A.Rock.

My parts truck was originally purchased to swap the TBI into my '97, so it will run.
Vortec is unreliable, plastic, unpredictable junk that has no place in my Chevrolet truck.

chevyforlife

Reaction score
Newbie here, I was wringing my hands about ditching my 1997 for a newer Silverado, because of a knock in the bottom end. These trucks were the step children with not much love, the stupid distributor base is made of plastic, so the screw holes easily strips. The Vortec engines, I have come to find out are prone to bearing issues, rods/mains and the spider EFI is not the best idea GM has eve had. The newer trucks have the AFM which I don't trust at all and the 4.8 has less torque, so I replaced the 5.7 and upgraded the EFI. Straight out of the box I believe that the TBIs are better, simpler to maintain, but after much moolah now my Vortec is a beast that loves to run sideways.