TBI MPG and other observations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my 91 K2500 LD ECSB with 5.7, NV3500, 3.73 gears, and with the original LT245/75 tires, with 11K on the odometer in 1993. I got as much as 18.9 mpg hwy driving when completely empty and driving it nice. Anything over 60mph and mpg dropped off significantly.

Every Gen I 5.7 and 5.0, and Gen III 5.3 and 6.0 I've owned got better fuel mileage with mid grade compared to regular gas. And they went up the hill noticeably better.

The 5.0's TBI's, and even the 5.0 Vortec's, struggle in the hills here in Colorado and don't get any better fuel mileage than the 5.7's. I've seen a fair number of trucks here that have had the 5.0 TBI replaced with 5.7 TBI's long before the 5.0's were even wore out.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wanted to update this if someone has the same issue. My temp fix was zip ties, but I had the distributor out for an intake gasket replacement.

I repaired my distributor today. Stock screws are 6-32. Drilled out with a #29 bit and tapped for 8-32. Used Phillips head machine screws with lock washers. Solid now.