TBI Code 43

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try that today thanks!

I emailed tpiparts.net about the type of terminal they use on their ESC plugs. If I can I’ll assemble a new wire and put it in the old plug and save myself from disassembling a fragile harness.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update!!

I found the break. Right where the wire comes out of the harness at the firewall next to the starter it was snapped. This jives with what the original owner told me that this started after he replaced the starter. Checked it with my meter.

The downside is this is going to be almost impossible to repair properly. I will temporarily fix it with a crimp connector but ultimately I will replace the knock sensor wire from the ESC module out. The connector appears to be a Metri Pack 280 as the blade on the ESC is .11”/2.8mm. I figure I’ll put a Metri Pack connector on the knock sensor pigtail as well to make it easy to replace.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is fixed for now. I ended up tracing the knock sensor wire from the ESC and cutting it at the fire wall. I put a new wire in from there and loomed the whole thing up separately from the rest of the harness. Made sure to avoid the plug wires obviously. Runs great, no more engine light pulling a grade.

I’m going to start a new thread on EGR valves. My AC Delco 214-5074 was made in China and I’m not too keen on using it.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Perhaps that's what was wrong with my truck. Very nice thread. Do you hear pinging at all now?

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not but I also ended up replacing the EGR valve and coil before really driving it as both were shot. My coil was so bad it was loose in the bracket and you could see the burn marks in it from arcing. Also found the distributor cap was loose. Truck runs great now. Still need to put plugs, wires, cap, and rotor in.