tbi chevy barely starts, runs very rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If its actually flooding that bad, the CT, TP, and MAP sensors are your suspects.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
just ordered a new CTS, MAP, and a tbi rebuild kit. gonna pick them up afterwork and try them in that order. based on the info i gathered and yous gave me i don't believe its the fuel pressure regulator but would mind rebuilding the tbi, cleaning it and doing the tbi mods anyway down the road. if i get to it this afternoon ill give an update. thanks

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It could be the regulator, but its USUALLY one of the senors. If the pressure is 13 psi, the sensors i said before are what can cause it to do that. Its not terribly hard to rig a fuel pressure test port on these. We just braised a schrader valve fitting into the side of a new fuel filter. Just install the filter and screw on your regular gauge.

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
well the cts and map didnt work. i ohmed out the pickup coil before i put the ignition module nd cap back on. the two pins ohmed out infinity nd ive read they are suposed to be inbetween 500 to 1500 ohms. i put everything back together anyway and tried the cts nd map which didnt work. checked spark and there is spark but seems kinda weak orange spark. spray pattern while cranking is a decent cone shape, maybe on the heavy side but i dont have anything to compare to?
any ideas on where to go from here?

adb5274.ab

Reaction score
scratch that, when i put everything back together after getting the ignition module checked i had all the plug wires rotated clock wise one to many! my dumb fualt, so not sure if it was the cts or map but if anyones interested im goin to be takin the map back off to see if it really was the cts so i can post back if anyones wondering. cant believe the cts woulda ohmed out semi correctly and woulda did what it did but guess ill find put for sure in the next few days. thanks for the help!