TBI air cleaner differences question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a 1988 C1500 5.7 TBI, and it has a TBI unit with one stud for the air cleaner. I found a factory air cleaner I plan to use, but the lid has two holes for two studs. I actually found the two studs at the junkyard too, but the TBi was gone. I do not have any of my factory air cleaner assembly.

My question is where do the two studs attach? It looks like they are right where the bolts that secure the TBI to the manifold sit. Are they just special bolts that are counter bored for the air cleaner studs? Is the whole throttle body different (I know there are other differences in linkage and such, Im just referring to the air filter stud areas)

Will a lid from a single stud fit onto the housing of a dual stud?

Thanks!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I expect--but cannot confirm--that a one-stud lid will drop right onto the rest of your two-stud air cleaner assembly.
It will, I've done it to both of mine. Replace the 2 lid bolt/studs combo with the regular bolts and put the center stud in the top of tbi unit... put on new 1 bolt top..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
It will, I've done it to both of mine. Replace the 2 lid bolt/studs combo with the regular bolts and put the center stud in the top of tbi unit... put on new 1 bolt top..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Don't forget the stud is offset. I think about an inch.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome replies! thank you! Ive got the single "bent" stud and an Edelbrock aftermarket air cleaner on there now. Now that I know the stock TBI to manifold bolts are the proper location, I will make something work. I sent the whole two bolt air cleaner assembly to a auto restoration chemical stripper company (a friend was bring a ton of parts there already and managed to get it "included" in his bundle) so I wont have it back for a couple of weeks. Ill try to post up my solution when I get it finished.