TB spacer, upper intake spacer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ran across a spacer for the upper part of the intake, I'm gonna be in there soon for mpfi swap and wondering if it's worth it. I know there is fitment issues but I have tools to make new fuel lines and have extra hardware to make that work, I'm wondering about the distributor tho, if intake is any taller how is the distributor long enough to reach oil pump and cam gear? Is it worth the effort ? Do is gain the HP it claims?
Then about a throttle body spacer, any benefits there? If so how much, and is it worth $50 for one? I haven't put my my CAI in yet, but have shaved my throttle plate lip off and it makes a very big difference, my cats are gone and an x pipe where they were but still have factory muffler for now . I have a pair of magnaflows that will be on soon and have duals coming out in front of right rear tire at a 45 cut flush with the bottom of bed. Very soon i will have the 0411 swap and tune done, and want to have as much mods done before the swap and tune so I don't have to send it in for another tune right away.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Intake spacer might make a difference. TB spacer is a complete waste of money on a Vortec truck.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We had a vmax on our 00 5.7 Denali. We did the spider at the same time. Honestly, I didn't notice a single thing. I wouldn't recommend it. The tb spacer does a nice job of removing money from your wallet as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We had a vmax on our 00 5.7 Denali. We did the spider at the same time. Honestly, I didn't notice a single thing. I wouldn't recommend it. The tb spacer does a nice job of removing money from your wallet as well.

That was my suspicion (regarding the intake spacer) but I didn't want to disparage it not knowing for sure. Makes sense though. Engine Masters just did an episode on plenum volume and found that it's not nearly as important as many people make it out to be.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well there is the answer I was looking for! dont waste my cash on spacers, just get the 0411 swap and a proper tune and put money elsewhere. How about porting the MAF? Remove screen and the center strip and make the whole thing a bigger diameter?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Well there is the answer I was looking for! dont waste my cash on spacers, just get the 0411 swap and a proper tune and put money elsewhere. How about porting the MAF? Remove screen and the center strip and make the whole thing a bigger diameter?
That's a no go. Can screw with the sensor

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The intake spacers are good if you need them. But on a stock motor you will not notice any gains.
Mine wasn't totally stock but it wasn't wild either. I went further than most though. It was cam, headers, full roller rockers, mild porting with gasket matching, vmax, mpfi spider, efans and tuned. After that was when I decided that I was done with gen 1 small block. I had a ton of money into that and I was less than pleased with the results. The same amount of money into a gen 3 would've exceeded my expectations.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To be clear, that spacer is less about plenum volume and more about giving the air a better path around the spider. There is more info from folks who have used the spacer on the fullsizechevy forums from back in the day when it was conceived. It's supposed to be a decent alternative to the marine intake and I've heard both ways on whether or not it adds power. My guess is it'd only help WOT at 3000+.