Taillights out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94subman

Reaction score
Well, my friend tells me both taillights are out. He’s right. Turn signals work, as does brake lights. How could both taillights go out at same time? I checked fuse box and didn’t see a fuse clearly marked taillights, so I’m not sure which fuse is for these. I checked several fuses tho, and none were blown. I am really stumped. Anybody know what I should do ?
Thanks

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, tail lights are running lights. Do your running lights come on any where on the truck. Like the front corner marker lights. Also do the lights come on in side the dash. These are all running lights. The easiest way to find your issues, will be with a test light. There are a ton of videos on you tube on how to use a test light. If you dont have one, any auto part store should have them in stock. They are very inexpensive and easy to use.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Assuming your username is also the truck you're asking about, and assuming your front running lights aren't working either, there is a 20A Park Lights fuse, should be in the middle of the fuse box just about. If not that, and your radio does work, then I'd take apart and clean the headlight switch assembly. I had to do that on my 93 when the headlights refused to come on for no discernible reason.

94subman

Reaction score
Assuming your username is also the truck you're asking about, and assuming your front running lights aren't working either, there is a 20A Park Lights fuse, should be in the middle of the fuse box just about. If not that, and your radio does work, then I'd take apart and clean the headlight switch assembly. I had to do that on my 93 when the headlights refused to come on for no discernible reason.

Thanks for the response sir. Yes, my truck is a 94 Suburban 4x4. My running lights up front are ok. But, I will check that fuse out, then the switch as you said. Everything else seems ok. Kinda crazy to me :)
Thanks again

94subman

Reaction score
Well, tail lights are running lights. Do your running lights come on any where on the truck. Like the front corner marker lights. Also do the lights come on in side the dash. These are all running lights. The easiest way to find your issues, will be with a test light. There are a ton of videos on you tube on how to use a test light. If you dont have one, any auto part store should have them in stock. They are very inexpensive and easy to use.
Thanks. Yea, the running lights up front work, as do the dash lights. To the best of my knowledge all lights, are ok (less map lights, which have been out for months) except the taillights. I have a tester and will get it checked out and get back.
Appreciate it !

94subman

Reaction score
Thanks. Yea, the running lights up front work, as do the dash lights. To the best of my knowledge all lights, are ok (less map lights, which have been out for months) except the taillights. I have a tester and will get it checked out and get back.
Appreciate it !

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have power at the plug that connects to the tail light circuit board, then its most likely the circuit board. These circuit boards are real bad about going out, and although replacing them is a snap, its hard to find a decent set. I think I have IBC brand circuit boards in my truck now. I tried Dorman boards but they are total junk.

94subman

Reaction score
Yea, I will certainly visit that tomorrow too. I hope it’s not the board tho. I guess that would be better than a short somewhere tho.
Thanks alot for getting back

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of why you need a test light. It takes the guess work out of it. You know if you have power at the plug or not.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media