T56 to replace 5 speed

T56 or keep the 5 speed?

• Keep the 5 speed

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • T56

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m thinking really hard about swapping the 5 speed in my 88 for a T56 when I build the turbo motor. I see a lot of folks swapping the 4L60 for a T56 but the 5 speed not so much. Is there a reason for this? Also, am I looking at F body bellhousing/clutch/pressure plate or will I be able to use my stock 88 stuff?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 5 speed in an 88 is even weaker than the nv3500 which is only rated to 300tq. It also doesn't shift fast. The T56 is a great tranny in the LS T56 version, not so much in the easier to adapt to a Gen 1 small/big block LT T56 version. The LT version uses an odd pull style clutch that severely limits your choices and they are all expensive. There is also something about a different starter (some V6 starter comes to mind). The T56 is a much more performance oriented tranny and it shifts good quickly.

As far as putting one in; the shifter sits about 6 inches further back, it fits in the tranny tunnel well, you have to move the cross member back, your master will work but you may be able to use your stock hydraulic line and if replacing a nv3500 then the drive shaft works.

As with anything there are upgrades. There is the T56 magnum, different gear ratios, stronger internals, a mid shift conversion to bring the shifter up through the original hole, speed bleeders... the list goes on.

Myself I would do an entire set up out of an LS powered F body, get a light weight flywheel, LS7 dual clutch, upgraded master and slave (probably Tick), remote speed bleeder and a good short throw shifter. In other words, I'd probably throw 4-5k at it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The 5 speed in an 88 is even weaker than the nv3500 which is only rated to 300tq. It also doesn't shift fast. The T56 is a great tranny in the LS T56 version, not so much in the easier to adapt to a Gen 1 small/big block LT T56 version. The LT version uses an odd pull style clutch that severely limits your choices and they are all expensive. There is also something about a different starter (some V6 starter comes to mind). The T56 is a much more performance oriented tranny and it shifts good quickly.

As far as putting one in; the shifter sits about 6 inches further back, it fits in the tranny tunnel well, you have to move the cross member back, your master will work but you may be able to use your stock hydraulic line and if replacing a nv3500 then the drive shaft works.

As with anything there are upgrades. There is the T56 magnum, different gear ratios, stronger internals, a mid shift conversion to bring the shifter up through the original hole, speed bleeders... the list goes on.

Myself I would do an entire set up out of an LS powered F body, get a light weight flywheel, LS7 dual clutch, upgraded master and slave (probably Tick), remote speed bleeder and a good short throw shifter. In other words, I'd probably throw 4-5k at it.

Great info!
Was getting all tight-in-the-pants, until I got to the 4-5k price. Ouch.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great info!
Was getting all tight-in-the-pants, until I got to the 4-5k price. Ouch.
Fortunately I have everything except for the LS7 clutch. I ended up with an entire setup with a Spec stage 1 clutch out of a WS6 Firebird. I also recently became the owner of an all aluminum gen 4 5.3. Unfortunately for the 400 platform, it will all go into my S10.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a '97 Camaro with the T-56 (I believe). It seemed neat for the first few weeks. After using it for a while, I'd much prefer a healthy 4l80. Build all the power that you'd like, and they are fairly cheap.

The only vehicle I'd ever have a manual in any more would be a diesel.

Some just like to shift - I get that. For higher performance gm stuff, shifting seems to get expensive fairly quickly though.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you the kind of guy who can get 200k out of a clutch? If so, the 5 speed will probably survive just fine. If not, practice being fast and smooth on the clutch. Or spend $4000.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you the kind of guy who can get 200k out of a clutch? If so, the 5 speed will probably survive just fine. If not, practice being fast and smooth on the clutch. Or spend $4000.
I drive semis for a living so I can get some mileage out of a clutch. The draws of the T56 are gearing and double overdrive. Plus being able to handle more power.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 6 speeds out of any LT1 or LT4 (Camaro, Firebird, 'vette) will bolt up to your engine. Clutch release can be made to work. They are ramshead so be sure everything is good when installing.
Eliminate the "skip" shift feature and you'll like the results. They are not for towing. Ratios tall and close.
A good 1994/1995 NV3500 is also a nice shifting, bolt in item. Little wider ratios, but good for light trucks. Definitely not as slick as a T56.
Might as well find a late Camaro donor with a 6 spd and go LS. Drop the whole thing in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a '97 Camaro with the T-56 (I believe). It seemed neat for the first few weeks. After using it for a while, I'd much prefer a healthy 4l80. Build all the power that you'd like, and they are fairly cheap.

The only vehicle I'd ever have a manual in any more would be a diesel.

Some just like to shift - I get that. For higher performance gm stuff, shifting seems to get expensive fairly quickly though.
The diesel manuals in light trucks are being eliminated. They can't deal with the torque. G56 is good (typically) for 150k and after that they get loose. 1000 lbs of torque destroys them.
Automatic is the way.
They have their issues, but they are generally dependable.
I personally like a manual.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The diesel manuals in light trucks are being eliminated. They can't deal with the torque. G56 is good (typically) for 150k and after that they get loose. 1000 lbs of torque destroys them.
Automatic is the way.
They have their issues, but they are generally dependable.
I personally like a manual.

You couldn't pay me enough to own a diesel pickup with an auto trans. Never again.