Swapping a tbi with a vortec please help I have a 1993 k1500 with a tbi engine an I want to put a 98 vortec engine! What do I have to change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1993 k1500 with a tbi engine an I got a 1998 vortec engine an I was wondering what am I gonna have to do to put that vortec in the 93 Chevy
If you are planning to use the complete engine and transmission you will need the complete wiring harness and computer from the '98. The ecm for the Vortec will not work with the stock transmission in the '93.
Full pumps will also need to be changed as well as multiple other parts.
We just finished a Vortec swap in a '92 that had a 700R4. We swapped the black box ecm for a 0411 and set it up to run the Vortec.
The guy I helped finish this in the end realized he would have been better off rebuilding his TBI or doing a 5.3/6.0 swap.
The only way I would do a Vortec swap myself these days, would to either carb it or put something like a Holley Sniper on it. The Vortec 5.7 weak point was the stupid intake design with the spider fuel injection setup.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are planning to use the complete engine and transmission you will need the complete wiring harness and computer from the '98. The ecm for the Vortec will not work with the stock transmission in the '93.
Full pumps will also need to be changed as well as multiple other parts.
We just finished a Vortec swap in a '92 that had a 700R4. We swapped the black box ecm for a 0411 and set it up to run the Vortec.
The guy I helped finish this in the end realized he would have been better off rebuilding his TBI or doing a 5.3/6.0 swap.
The only way I would do a Vortec swap myself these days, would to either carb it or put something like a Holley Sniper on it. The Vortec 5.7 weak point was the stupid intake design with the spider fuel injection setup.

Nothing really wrong with the L31 intake setup. I have run one over 500 hp. I would take a L31 over a 5.3L any day of the week. I would even take a L30 compared to a 4.8L. The 23 degree small blocks are far easier to make low-midrange torque with.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While I did like my 1996 Vortec Tahoe oh so many years ago, it was new and I switched to another vehicle before any problems and I will repeat myself here. I wish I had that 96 Tahoe back. BUT, the TBI engine are rock solid and so was the fuel systems. Care and maintenance is all they needed. My girl's 1990 K2500 is a sample of a sturdy solid TBI engine.

Last edited:

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I did like my 1996 Vortec Tahoe on so many years ago, it was new and I switched to another vehicle before any problems and I will repeat myself here. I wish I had that 96 Tahoe back. BUT, the TBI engine were rock solid and so was the fuel systems. Care and maintenance is all they needed. My girl's 1990 K2500 is a sample of a sturdy solid TBI engine.
My wifes years back was a 2000 Vortec NEW, by 2016 it rotted out before anything else went wrong. My old 95 k1500 winter truck I still have, 200K miles, runs like a champ still. Just click of key she fires up !!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My girl is going to her storage unit to put away Christmas items and literally 3 minutes ago, she cranked the truck and it started like it always does, meaning it always starts and runs great and if needs an injector, is easy to swap and is easy to watch the spray nozzle pattern to make sure is looking good. That truck does what it is supposed to do. Starts, functions and sits and waits for it's next usage.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't own a timing light any more but a timing light is a great way to point at the injector nozzle spray and see how good/bad the pattern looks. The pulsing light works great for that and is very bright when it flashes on.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I did like my 1996 Vortec Tahoe oh so many years ago, it was new and I switched to another vehicle before any problems and I will repeat myself here. I wish I had that 96 Tahoe back. BUT, the TBI engine are rock solid and so was the fuel systems. Care and maintenance is all they needed. My girl's 1990 K2500 is a sample of a sturdy solid TBI engine.
The Vortecs are rock solid as well, after you change the spider to the upgrade spider and put fiber paper intake gaskets like the Edelbrock 7235s on it. The Vortecs are very simple as well. I prefer the Vortec to the TBI but I like them both. You can make a lot more power out of the Vortec EFI without changing any of the components than you can a TBI.