Stupid freeze plug behind motor mount...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a leaky freeze plug. A year ago two were replaced, and of course they were the easy ones to get to. Apparently the shop didn't think the others needed it... I've watched a few videos on getting to it(pass side, 4.3L) any tips on getting at it? How long should it take for a guy reasonably maniacally inclined, and not a huge tool box, but a decent assortment of sockets, etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I would pull the engine and replace ALL of the core plugs. If you changed two and now a different one is leaking it is a pretty good bet that the rest will follow suit at the worst possible time

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do both of the ones behind the mounts. From what I gather, the ones on the back don't really go bad. And anyway, if I pull the motor, I'm not putting this 4.3 back in. But thanks for answering my question

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to do that same plug on my engine and it was a royal pain in the butt. I didn't pull the engine completely out though, I just unbolted the motor mount on the one side, lifted it up just enough with a borrowed engine hoist and had to hammer the plug into the block with some long extensions, a piece of metal pipe and my Dad with a sledge hammer through the fender liner...Admittedly not the safest way to do it, but it can be done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Core plugs corrode due to failed anti-freeze and/or bad electrical grounds leading to "Radiator voltage".

Either way, ALL the core plugs are in contact with the SAME coolant, and they're ALL subject to corrosion.

You've already had multiple failures. The rest of the plugs cannot be trusted.

Don't forget to completely and thoroughly flush the coolant, open up the block drains to drain the flush water, and refill with new coolant at the recommended 50/50 (or stronger, depending on lowest anticipated temperatures) fresh coolant.

I've used epoxy, and I've used red "271" Loctite thread locker as core plug sealant. Other gasket sealers may work well also. For fukk sakes, do not use Teflon paste or RTV silicone.