Strange turn signal issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently removed my hitch to do some work to it, reinstalled and when parking lights are on left blinker is hyper flash and all left lights flash, right blinker blinks at a faster rate but not the hyper flash and again all right lights flash. Checked grounds and all are good. Checked rear harness connectors and they seem to be tight and I couldn't push them together any further. Right side sometimes flashes normal and all turn signals flash normal when parking lights are not on. I have quality led tail lights that have been on the truck for 5 years without an issue. I am thinking it has to be in the rear tail light connector since that and the ground are the only things touched when hitch was removed. Any ideas?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd have to say double check the grounds. Any ground in the back area, any of the taillight or tag light wires, that harness, etc. check them again and just to be safe dress them up a little bit. I've had this exact same thing happen to me before, checked the grounds and they seemed fine, so, stumped, I just for the hell it undid the ground from my harness and took some sand paper and a wire brush around the area to get clean shiny metal and that solved the problem, took about 5 minutes. After that if it still persists is when I'd look at the connectors being the issue. Hope this helps. I'm also running good quality LEDs like you.

Grounds can do some bat-sh*t crazy stuff.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I will disassemble the grounds again, pretty well dressed them up when had the hitch off since I repainted the hitch but it won't hurt to triple check them again

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If the grounds dont fix it throw a led flasher relay in. My truck came with led tails and one day out of no where it started fast flashing like i had a light out and that fixed it

McDermott

Reaction score
I just had the same exact problem when I removed my bed. I got everything assembled and during the final check I found the tail lights acting "funky". Found it was the main ground in the taillight harness ( located basically behind the licens plate , bolted to underside of the bed ), I had to replace the wire terminal ring and ( just to over Kill it ) ground it mounting hole to a shine . Worked perfictly!!! Grounds will trough you off . I recommend a powerprobe http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...7jGrL2a15oLqi3UJ4qomwAQOpecD-BY2EMaAtwY8P8HAQ it will allow you to apply good battery hot/ground. It's a real time saver !!

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday, someone tried to steal one of my wheels and as I was droving I felt a bad vibration and checked it out, we'll they loosened all the lugs so I sheared 4 and didn't have a single lug nut holding my wheel on. Needless to say I fixed that issue and will work on the grounds again today, my led flasher relay will also be here today so I will have that to check as well.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the grounds are clean to bare metal, still acting weird, dropped the led flasher relay in and voila all is working as it should again. Strange after 5.5 years having these led taillights and now all of a sudden the regular flasher relay acts up. Thank you all for the input and the ideas.