Strange brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Well guys, my 1998 k2500 is having braking issues. Its only got 3 wheel brakes. Drivers front will not slide, even on ice. Other 3 will lock up and slide (abs has been unplugged since i owned the truck). Then, randomly, without even pressing the brakes, the drivers front brake will lock up, almost sliding the tire and will not release. You can open the bleeder on the brake to release the pressure, then you are back to 3 wheel brakes. Caliper and line test perfectly fine. If you crack the line up on the frame where it turns to rubber hose, the brake releases. Is this a ABS module issue? Do i need to buy a proportioning valve and just plumb up a few lines and be done with it? Im really at a loss on how this can be happening. Anyone had anything of the sort happening?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you changed the rubber lines? That's where I would look first if everything else looks good.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yea, the problem is higher up than them. If you loosen the line where it turns from metal to rubber, the brake releases.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My front driver tire would lock up on me at random times
Ended up being my master

It made the rim unbearable to touch when i limped home like that one day

Needless to say that folly required a new rotor and pads

But I did swap everything in front

Front calipers and master gravity bled the lines

HF makes a half decent vacuum bleeder

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One mechanic refused the job lol
He said it was a death trap and needed to be junked LMAO!

98_k1500

Reaction score
I think im going to take the ABS module off it completly, plumb up some new lines, add an adjustable proportioning valve, and do the NBS master swap. Should fix the whole 9 yards.