Still sloppy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be handing over money for the redhead box soon. I really don't want too but I also really don't want to go through what everybody that doesn't put one in goes through

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good time to mention that "adjusting" the nut on the top of the steering box, despite what everyone says, is probably one of the worst things you can do to the saginaw steering gear. The different in adjustment that will cause enormous wear to the gears can be less than an 1/8 of a turn.

Most of the play in a box comes from the input shaft bearing preload, not the output gear. This can also be adjusted. You do it with the steering gear out and empty of fluid(like before you install it). After learning and performing the adjustments yourself, you will have a newfound respect for the saginaw steering box and will never touch that nut "adjustment" again.

Baighn92

Reaction score
I feel your pain:

I replaced my steering gearbox, steering shaft (with new rag-joint) and center link......and I have unacceptable sloppiness as well. From what I can tell it seems to be in the NAPA (Dorman?) rebuilt gearbox. If I turn the steering wheel (engine off) left and right in short turns you can see the input shaft turn but not the output.

I haven't dug deep into this but, I think this is a common issue on the old girls...