Sticky Lifter/ Valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got a sticky lifter or a sticky valve. I can clearly hear it. I was wondering if seafoaming the engine through the Brake Booster line would help that and clean out the engine. But I heard from all sorts of sources that the Vortec engine only really seafoams one side of the engine and that could lead to a blown engine. I just wanted to confirm it. Or maybe get other ideas on how to fix the sticky valve. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance that much but it sure as hell makes the truck sound like ****. Should I just take the valve cover off and clean it with picks and seafoam deep creep? I am completely clueless and any help would be greatly appreciated.
its a 1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 with a 5.7L 350.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dump 1/2 the bottle of seafoam into the oil and run it for a while. Dump the other half in the oil after an oil change. That cleared up the sticky valve on my 98.

To seafoam the vortec engine I belive you have to use the bottle with the long hose and do it through the throttle body. Just think that is what I read have not tried it yet.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Try the Seafoam, but if it doesn't work, don't drive your truck for too long while it makes that noise. My '97 was doing something similar to what you describe your's is doing. Seafoam didn't cure the prob, so I had to pull the intake manifold. This is what I found. Good thing I did this when I did, because I caught it in time before it screwed up the camshaft. The cam did get a mark or two on it, but not enough to justify changing it. If it had been worse, that would have been the death blow for the 4.3. It would have become a boat anchor & the truck would have a V8!
IIRC, the Vortec engines all use the same lifters.
It was just the one lifter that went south, but I did check them all.

A good excuse to swap out those El-cheapo factory intake manifold gaskets.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, thanks guys for the reply. I dumped a half a can of seafoam in the crank case. I'm hoping that is it. But when I did that after runnin it for about 3 or 4 min the ticking got slightly louder.
I think it might just be alot of gunk, cause the motor doesn't have more then 90,000 miles. I have no idea what oil they used before. I put in Ams Oil XL 10w-30 the last oil change. And after awhile I put in some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Now I'm gonna put in some cheaper synthetic so I don't **** up the gaskets.